Fertilizer !!! The Way I Hear It

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Ramone, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Ramone

    Ramone LawnSite Member
    Messages: 23

    I'm In Michigan But The Way I Hear It If U Can Buy Fert. Legally From Lowes Or Home Depot U Can Legally Put It Down With No License
  2. Premo Services

    Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,516

    Why wouldn't you go to the first thread in this forum, it it a sticky called Licensing In All States and get it straight from the horses mouth instead of here say....http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61624

    You might be able to apply straight fert but add weed killer or crabgrass preemergent and you could be in for some trouble applying it without a license......
  3. M.C.L.C.

    M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    Yeah, make sure you are legal you dont want to find out the hard way that you are not
  4. TLS

    TLS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,943

    Fert and Fert ONLY.

    If it has a herbicide in it of any kind, it doesn't matter where you buy it.

    If your spreading for profit you need to be licensed.
  5. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    You can buy Lumber and building material at Home Cheapo also. Does that mean you can build a High rise without a license????
  6. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    LOL! What an excellent metaphor. Or is that simile? Anyway,...great comparison.
    Ramone, actually, your information IS incorrect. Anything containing a pesticide, whether it is a "weed n feed", crabgrass control, grub and/or insect control, etc., is off limits. Just a pure fertilizer,...you are ok. the only problem with that is...then you are fertilizing the weeds.
    Look at it this way. you can by pyrethrins and other insecticides to spray inside your home and basement,...but you SURE can't dawn an orkin uniform and just go into homes to ants and termites. The same applies here(uniform or not lol). The Mich. Dept. of Agriculture will have all the info you need. I hope this helps.
  7. Turfdoctor1

    Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 707

    applying chemicals to home lawns without a license is like buying lumber and building material at home cheapo and building a high-rise without a license.

    now it's a similie, runner. lol
  8. 1cooltreeguy

    1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 630

    Spreading for proffit = Get a liscense. Just DO IT!! Legal up.
  9. hughmcjr

    hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon
    Messages: 183

    Not in Oregon. You do not need to be licensed to spread fertilizer even with herbicide in it if you meet certain requirements. 1. The use of product is less than 10% of your gross. 2. You do not advertise weed control.
  10. TforTexas

    TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 260

    It is considered a PESTICIDE APPLICATORS LICENSE and fertilizer alone is not a pesticide. And yes weed and feeds, pre emergants, fert plus insectides and fungicides, etc are pesticides and if you apply them for profit you need the license. Some pesticides are restricted use and you cant even buy them without the license. However some states require a fertilizer dealers license if a certain percentage of your income is through the sale of fert. But bottom line if you are going to be a "professional" in this industry you should get the license anyway. Worse gets to worse studying for the test you might learn something.

Share This Page