Fertilizer with Calcium

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marine03112, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

I know my salesman sells a 50/50 and a 60/40 product. He tells me some companies charge for fert and lime in one pass. Has anyone else done a fert with calcium mix? I know one guy who does and doesn't charge for both. He does it for the benefit of getting some lime on the property. I also know that calcium does inhibit the ability of the plant to absorb Nitrogen. Doesn't stop it totally but you wont get the full effect of the Nitrogen. Anyone do this or does anyone have an opinion? I was thinking on doing this because quite a few customers just dont take lime apps.

hort101 likes this.
  2. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

Is that enough lime to make a difference?

3. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

It would have to be done every year or twice a year dependent on the customers PH. It would be ok at an maintenance level.

kemco likes this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think that is just salesman talk. The calcium is probably just ground up limestone used a filler in the fertilizer bag. It does not dissolve for about 20 years.

Fertilizer experts: lets hear from you.

kemco likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Riggle it’s a lime fertilizer mix. Site one sells it. So does Synatek.

6. Ghopper3345

Ghopper3345 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Naaaaah nothing like good old fashion heavy rate lime!! Suck it up a push it!

7. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

I will no problem. Just so many folks don’t take lime so this might be an alternative

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

So do they all need lime with out a soil test i never add lime why not a fertilizer with some kind of organic matter

phasthound likes this.
  9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

We do a maintenance rate of lime on all our lawns as our last round of the season essentially first on November till dang near March of the following year. I do try to get them all done in the current year though Nov to end of December. We have soil with a good amount of clay which will tend to go lower on the pH over time and with fert etc.

If we are having a problem with a lawn we will either send a sample off for a soil test or pop our pH meter in the ground and apply line as needed.

Dainius likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Charles most I pinged with the Kelway PH meter. Most need some lime adjustment. Site one and synatek sell a fert with organic matter been running it a few rounds here and there.

hort101 likes this.