Lawn Care Forum banner

Fertilizer with Merit?

15K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gkell88 
#1 ·
How effective is the dry fert with the merit in it. I plan on putting it down on my 3rd app for grub control. Will this this have good enough kill on the beetles now that I wont have to put anything down in August?

#2 ·
QC,

Granular applications of Merit really are that effective when timed & applied properly. Once a year is almost more than enough. For Grubs that is.

Surface feeding insects are supressed at best by Merit. If Webworms (or other Lepidoptera) & Chinch bugs are a problem in your area, a surface insecticide like Talstar, Sevin, Delta Gard, etc, may be in order at some point.

Steve

#3 ·
The University of Illinois does not think that imidiclopryd (correct spelling?) or Merit is an effective control of sod webworm. Use someting from tremor's list if you are concerned about webworm.

Use of Merit to control grubs is dependant upon you getting this product into the soil where the grubs live at the right time. It is difficult to move an insecticide through a lush stand of turf. Use lots of water!

jim

P.S. We have adult June bugs out in N.E. Illionois. I have never seen as many June bugs as I am seeing this June. Has anyone else noticed this? Are we going to have grub problems big time this coming August?

jim

#4 ·
merit works well on grubs, but not so well on the sod webworm as stated we use talstar to control the dreaded webworm, and a bevy of other insects.

P.S. We have adult June bugs out in N.E. Illionois. I have never seen as many June bugs as I am seeing this June. Has anyone else noticed this? Are we going to have grub problems big time this coming August?
I might be mistaken, but i think that the june bug in larvae stage is entirely different from your normal grub fond in a lawn, or bed. I believe that they are 7-10 times the size of your average grub.
(2-4 inches long, and an inch or more in diameter)

I found about 8-10 grubs once in an old oak tree we cut down, and two people since have said that they were probably the patent leather beetle. AKA-junebug, bess beetle.

#5 ·
Jim,

Small June Bugs here in coastal CT at the moment not too numerous yet. Chafers pretty soon & they're a bigger deal in this town.

I should also have mentioned that Conserve SC is a nice "soft" reduced risk pesticide that is extrememly active on Lepodoptera. So far only available as a sprayable though.

Steve

#6 ·
Hi Ohio,

Patent Leather Beetles (aka Bess & Peg) are very cool aren't they? These buggers are the big ones that live in dead wood & hiss at you when they're disturbed. A very impressive insect. But they're not the same beetle. Just to confuse the issue some more is the Green June Beetle. These bigger larvae are pretty hard to control with any chemical & might best be kept for bait!

June Beetle
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod03/visuals/junbet02.jpg

Green June Beetle
http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/insect/greenjune.html

Patent Leather Beetle
http://entweb.clemson.edu/museum/beetles/local/btle14.htm

Steve

#7 ·
All forms of Merit work well with one key procedure..........watering it in ASAP. Once you tear that bag open, oxygen begins to break down the active ingredient. I normally do my grub controls on a day with a light rain for maximum results.

#9 ·
Matthew,

Good point re watering.

Given the drought conditions & water restrictions I'm seeing a conversion among some applicators to Mach2.

Mach = Molt Accelerating Coumpound Halofenozide

The first growth hormone for insects in the landscape. Insect Growth Regulators aren't new to indoor Pest Control Operators, but they are to us. The Mach2 treated grub immediately (ingestion or contact) stops feeding & begins to molt. (most creature molt from the head down so feeding is impossible) Feeding ceases within 24 hours. The treated grub never stops molting.

The Mach2 label doesn't require any irrigation following applicatipon. There is obviously a statement letting you know the product won't work if it isn't moved into the rootzone. But Mach2 won't photo-degrade while it sits in the turf waiting for rain either. That's big stuff in areas where there are restrictions in place. There is no reason not to capitolize on this & market it. The best way to succeed in business is to differentiate yourself from the pack.

The earlier EPA approved rate of 1.5lbs AIA didn't work on some Chafers. The original label owner was a joint venture between American Cyanimid & Rohm & Haas called Rohmid. Rohmid marketted Mach2 at the lower rate because it worked OK on some species & for thre obvious financial reason. Bad idea and Rohmid is now out of business. DOW now owns the label & is changing it as we speak. The new 2 lb AI rate does control all common lawn grubs up to & including the first instar. That's a later opportunity than Merit.

Mach2 has a better toxicological profile than Merit and that's saying something.

Since the current selling prices finally have Mach2 a little lower than Merit for the first time in history, it might be worth a look for you guys.

Steve

#10 ·
Yes, and I have decided to go with Mach 2 this year instead of Merit, even though I will lose my protection against billbug larvae.

#11 ·
We've had several years of excellent results with a Merit+Fert combo on our #3 +Grub clients. We put it down earlier on our zoysia accounts, and have had good billbug larvae control.(Not perfect, but satisfactory) We also see very much reduced chinch bug populations on these lawns. We've been very happy with merit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.