Lawn Care Forum banner

Fertilizer

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE 
#1 ·
Some of my customers want me to start fertilizing. I bought $18 bags at Home Depot and charged $55 each. God math?

Tom

#3 ·
it takes absolutllyi no special knowledge, or experience or license to do this, just buy it and put it down it will probably be just fine.....

and if the lawn dies, no big deal you can just spread a little seed around...

oh by the way could you explaing the significance of the three numbers and what the mean that are displayed on a bag, i heard it was just for store reference...;)

#4 ·
daveintoledo said:
it takes absolutllyi no special knowledge, or experience or license to do this, just buy it and put it down it will probably be just fine.....

oh by the way could you explaing the significance of the three numbers and what the mean that are displayed on a bag, i heard it was just for store reference...;)
I almost snapped on you until I saw the sarcasm:)

To the OP, you had best stop doing what you're doing before you ruin someone's lawn, or get yourself in hot water with a certain state or federal agency...

#5 ·
fiveoboy01 said:
I almost snapped on you until I saw the sarcasm:)

To the OP, you had best stop doing what you're doing before you ruin someone's lawn, or get yourself in hot water with a certain state or federal agency...
just a little humor...actually most states dont require a license for just fertilizer, but he probably bought a product containing fertilizer and weed control, ...and i hear florida is one of the more lax states reguarding this,

but hey you dont really have to know what your doing, just put it down it will be fine....:dizzy:

#7 ·
daveintoledo said:
just a little humor...actually most states dont require a license for just fertilizer, but he probably bought a product containing fertilizer and weed control, ...and i hear florida is one of the more lax states reguarding this,

but hey you dont really have to know what your doing, just put it down it will be fine....:dizzy:
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. A lot of retail-fertilizer-in-a-bag type has some sort of pesticide in it.

#8 ·
How do you go about getting a license to fertilize?

#9 ·
daveintoledo said:

1# is amount you can pack on one pallet and still be safe.
2nd# is the bin it must be stored in-- if this # is a zero than it goes outside
3rd# is a in house # and I am not sure about HD but Lowes uses it to calculate weight on the shelf when the relative humidity falls with-in a certain parameter.
And Dave-- just for the record I am very disappointed that you did not know this.

#11 ·
daveintoledo said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dave, Whats AI Mean? oh yah, and what the ell is an M?
What happens if I put granular weed & feed down in the afternoon?
Thanks Dave, I know you'll help me understand.

#12 ·
the AI means already included, so you dont have to add anything to the mixture, and the M is for the amount of manure included in the mix....:dancing:

if you put granulare down in the afternoon, you have to water the lawn that same night, makes the grains stick to the leaves better.....

#14 ·
daveintoledo said:

Very emotional response! After 15 years of taking care of my parents and grandparents lawns I'm sure I will be fine. Plus, if anyone is having difficulty understanding the very basic instructions on a bag of store bought fertilizer they probably shouldn't be running a lawn care business.

So here are your "numbers" 24-2-8 fertilizer has 24% nitrogen, 2% phosphorus and 8% potassium

I will thank you for the license heads up - I was not aware of that.

#15 ·
Braveheart said:
Very emotional response! After 15 years of taking care of my parents and grandparents lawns I sure I will be fine. Plus, if anyone is having difficulty understanding the instructions on a bag of store bought fertilizer they probably shouldn't be running a lawn care business.
QUOTE]

you parents and grandparents arent going to bring a lawsuit against you when something goes wrong.....

when you get the materials for a license you will learn most of what you need to know... like i said i think florida may be one of the more leinient states....:)

#16 ·
daveintoledo said:
Braveheart said:
Very emotional response! After 15 years of taking care of my parents and grandparents lawns I sure I will be fine. Plus, if anyone is having difficulty understanding the instructions on a bag of store bought fertilizer they probably shouldn't be running a lawn care business.
QUOTE]

you parents and grandparents arent going to bring a lawsuit against you when something goes wrong.....

when you get the materials for a license you will learn most of what you need to know... like i said i think florida may be one of the more leinient states....:)
I know Michigans not.

#18 ·
Braveheart said:
Very emotional response! After 15 years of taking care of my parents and grandparents lawns I'm sure I will be fine. Plus, if anyone is having difficulty understanding the very basic instructions on a bag of store bought fertilizer they probably shouldn't be running a lawn care business.

So here are your “numbers” 24-2-8 fertilizer has 24% nitrogen, 2% phosphorus and 8% potassium

I will thank you for the license heads up – I was not aware of that.
I'm sure glad to see thats not 12-12-12 God hate that, everybody thinks thats the best thing because thats what the old time farm used. all that P and no idea of what it is doing to the ground around them. No wonder they want to restrict P to 0 unless a soil test proves otherwise. P almost always test high in this area.

#19 ·
I gave up that fertilizer crap a few years ago. Just made the lawn long and thick, was a mess after cutting, clumps all over. No sir-- no fert for me. sometimes I can go 3 weeks with out cutting now. life is so much better now.

Hey by the way does anybody know what isle the dust masks are in at Lowes. thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.