Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by rubylawn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. rubylawn

rubylawn LawnSite Member

How many of you use both granular fret and liquid fert. We are thinking of using both next year.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Retired 5 years ago. Back then, I mostly alternated liquid ap then dry--with certain exceptions. At times--if I did a dry ap and then needed weed control--I made an exception--and did both. Grass grew fast!

For instance, if I added a new customer, sometimes I applied 19-0-6 with Dimension, than added a liquid fertilizer with Eliminate herbicide. Not safe in hot weather, of course.
    Liquid was fine--but dry products were quicker and longer lasting--and labor cost was less.

hort101 likes this.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

That would be the last two apps you ever made on a lawn I mowed.

4. Leesah

Leesah LawnSite Member

Why is that? Does it depend on the type of grass?

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Did you actually read his comment?
    "At times--if I did a dry ap and then needed weed control--I made an exception--and did both. Grass grew fast!"

6. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I do both, but most product goes down as dry and then I may go over with liquid based on how it looks.

7. Mr.Roberts

Mr.Roberts LawnSite Member

Both. Liquid nitrogen with my spring pre emergents between .75 and 1 lb of Nitrogen per 1 K sq ft.
    3 granular fertilizers on my warm season turf in the summer with some slow release.
    Liquid is generally cheaper than granular.
    Liquid is usually quick release and short lived although you can get time release liquid.

kemco likes this.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I consider granular fertilizer almost cheaper than liquid--because--the labor time is less. Granular is quicker and there is no time lost to filling and mixing. The equipment (spreader) is simple.

9. Mr.Roberts

Mr.Roberts LawnSite Member

I’m 33-50% quicker on granular

10. Leesah

Leesah LawnSite Member

I'm actually quicker with liquid, its easier for me to filla bottle with water and spray than it is for me to lift a 50lb bag and put in the spreader. Im weird I guess, I'm also a female 5'3 and not strong so maybe thats why.:oops:

woodlawnservice and Mr.Roberts like this.