• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Fertilizing before snow

beach

LawnSite Member
What are your opinions? Pros and Cons.... I need to get it done but the forecast calls for snow tomorrow?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I see no problem. A bit of snow on top of fertilizer granules should cause no problems. Naturally, some states prohibit fertilizer on frozen ground, due to the potential for granules runoff and water contamination, if heavy rain happens. Thick turf should prevent any movement of the granules--rain or not. Snow should melt gradually in a few days--maybe quicker than that. It did not cause problems in my experience, as it happened on my treatments from time to time in the past.

One April years ago, when I worked for turgreen, it snowed 4 inches after we had applied about 1000 lawn treatments. No unusual problems resulted.

You ARE using spreader covers, right? You don't want snow in your spreader. I suspect you will all be a Waffle House drinking coffee, anyhow, right?

Last edited:

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
What are your opinions? Pros and Cons.... I need to get it done but the forecast calls for snow tomorrow?
The thing that guys in the business never think about is how it appears to customers and potential customers. How much difference will waiting a day or week make?

cowboymowing

LawnSite Member
We fertilize mid March right before a snow storm. Gives us a little moisture so the turf doesn't burn up. Ground isn't frozen and makes no sense waiting until we turn on the sprinklers a month later. Then again, we get weird weather in Colorado.

tobylou8

LawnSite Bronze Member
Fertilizing in February? What's your ratio? Using Premergent? Customers barely understand when we do "normal" stuff, but February?? They'll think you're nuts.