1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by SummitLawns, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. SummitLawns

    SummitLawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 23

    Hey guys I had a few questions that I needed help answering if anyone could help me. I have been doing clean ups and straight mowing for a couple years and now I want to get into fertilizing and chemical work. I have declined doing jobs for people in the the past, but this year I have told a few clients that I could do the a 2 or 3 step fertilizer treatment for them this year. My questions are:
    1. Where can I purchase the right kinds of fertilizers in large quantities?
    2. How much do I use? (obviously size of yard matters)
    3. What time of year do I lay down treatments?
    4. Should I use liquid or solid fertilizer?

    Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated as I am fairly clueless here. Thanks!
  2. DitchDr

    DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 256

    #1 make sure you have rider on your insurance to cover it.

    #2 contact your state pest control board. See what they require for license to apply it.

    #3 Follow the directions on the bags as far as amounts.

    #4 I use both liquid and granular.

    #5 Do a search for fertilizer supply houses near you.

    DO NOT GET CAUGHT putting down anything with out a license..
    ANYTHING that has a EPA number on it you have to be covered..

    I was stopped by the local EPA today walking out of Pubix with mt lunch. Had to show them my paper work. You know why they wanted to see it? Cause I had a half full bottle of round up in the back of my truck!!!
  3. SummitLawns

    SummitLawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 23

    Awesome thanks I appreciate it! I am already in the process of getting my license at the moment. However what does it mean to have "rider on my insurance"?
  4. Assuming you have a business policy, a rider is an addition to that policy to cover added services you perform like pesticide application.
    My policy allows me to apply chemicals if they don't exceeed 10% of my income for no additional charge.
    If you don't have commercial insurance you should look into it. It's based on your gross sales so it's affordable to everyone. But shop around. There's a lot of difference in costs. An enormous difference. Don't get discouraged by the first quote you get. There is affordable insurance.

    You could put down only fertilizer. But that's no way to treat a lawn. Because you're fertilizing the weeds too.

    Pesticide licenses are great. They send you to seminars where college professors of agriculture explain everything you need to know. Don't think it's too tough for you. I've seen guys there that have a hard time operating a pencil. It's a room full of lawn care guys. If I can do it, you can do it.

    Lesco is a really good place to get supplies. They give a lot of support and advice to lawn care guys. I've seen homeowners buying there too. But they have a lot of difficulty explaining things to folks who don't have a clue about lawn care. But they're patient. I buy everything there now. Bought some stuff from Lowes once 'cause I didn't want to make the trip to Lesco. Then had to do it over with Lesco products.

Share This Page