1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Fertilizing Cool Season Grass in July

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by rainbowss, Jun 6, 2020.

1. rainbowss

rainbowss LawnSite Member
    from NY

What is everyone's opinion on this? Has anyone tried it successfully, or unsuccessfully? Scotts sells SummerGuard with Insect Control having 0.53lb Nitrogen per 1K sqft. They also say one can make a repeat application if insects persist, but after two weeks. So, essentially, 1.06lb of Nitrogen per 1K sqft in the middle of the summer. Scotts certainly thinks it is okay.

What about you guys? I don't want to spend Scotts money(~$50 for two applications). Would rather buy a Vigoro for $15 having 0.8lb Nitrogen per 1K sqft and put it down once.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of insects are you targeting? Just curious; I'm not an expert.

3. OP
    OP
    rainbowss

from NY

Oh, no insects. Just want to get some Nitrogen down. I am going to put down spectracide bug killer tomorrow though, as I see some of those flying moths. Messed up on nitrogen application thus far, so, not seeing the growth once had.

4. AMartinContracting

AMartinContracting LawnSite Member

N apps in july are fine, provided conditions are conducive, if your in a drought or heatwave, consider an app that bio stimulates the soil and plants. Kelp and humic are a great combo. Heat and drought tolerance improve when kelp is applied before the onset of stress.

If your having a wet and cool july, an N app can be good choice to deal with red thread.

Cheers.

Coachbob, Jeff@diyokc and phasthound like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    rainbowss

from NY

Come on, Martin, I am trying to keep the costs down. :cool:

6. AMartinContracting

What can you sell? What price can the market bear? Get as creative as you want, if you want to keep the cost low, 1/3 of N straight urea with humic acid in foliar form is a great bang for the buck and good on turf if it not stressed.

for those client that are watering, I have sold soil surfactant applications this time of year.

7. AMartinContracting

Also, in granular soil applied form, the plant only sees about 40 percent of the total N applied. When combined with a carbon source and sprayed on, you'll see a much higher impact per lbs of applied N

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

July isn't a good time to apply N.
    The cool-season grasses (such as bluegrasses, fescues, and ryegrasses) will benefit most when you apply the majority of N fertilizer from late summer through autumn. This promotes summer recovery, enhances shoot density, maximizes green color, and prepares the turf for winter, all without a growth surge. Apply less N during the spring growth flush, and then apply little to none during summer except where you frequently water and/or regularly remove clippings during mowing.
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ay/ay-22-w.pdf

Best to apply organic matter in July and let soil microbes do their work.
    https://www.jerseyyards.org/create-...s/step-2-start-with-healthy-soil/soil-health/

9. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

If you want N why not just apply N? I'm confused as to why you would use something with insect control if there is not an insect problem. It's surely more expensive and also unnecessary chemicals.

That being said, I would need to be experiencing an extremely rainy July to consider a fert app. Usually its too hot and dry and the turf is already stressed with the heat. Pushing topgrowth will stress it even more.

phasthound likes this.
  10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

rainbowss, are you asking about your own lawn or are you a pro?