1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

fertilizing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. ToddS

    ToddS LawnSite Member
    Messages: 58

    I keep reading about needing a license to do this. Do you need a license to do general fertilization such as the Scotts type program, etc? I know the general homeowner does it on their own lawn and this does not require to have a license. I am thinking about getting into this, but don't have a license. I was only thinking of doing the general fertilizing for those homeowner that don't want to, or are too lazy to do it themselves.

    Todd S
  2. Team Gopher

    Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -
    Messages: 4,040

  3. ToddS

    ToddS LawnSite Member
    Messages: 58

    Thanks for the reply Gopher, but I could not get the websites that you provided up. Anyone know any information on this subject? I am basically talking about fertilization that you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot and not pesticides. Thanks

  4. precisioncut

    precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 653

    You typically (varies from state to state, but most are the same) need a license to apply any fertilizer w/post or pre-emergents in it. If your using it to profit from and trying to control something ie: weeds insects. Good luck-I'm in the process of learning the manuals for the 100 question test.
  5. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    Precisioncut is right on the money... In the state we're from you need to be licensed in order to apply Scott's fertilizer from Home Depot if it has a pre or post-emergent and your using it on any lawn besides your own. Which means:

    Scott's is a five step program.
    Step 1: fertilizer with Crabgrass preventer = License required
    Step 2: fertilizer with Weed control = License required
    Step 3: fertilizer with Insect control = License required
    Step 4: fertilizer only = License NOT required
    Step 5: fertilizer only = License NOT required
  6. eakern

    eakern LawnSite Member
    from Georgia
    Messages: 39


    Try this Link.This has the testing schedule for Georgia and the forms to fill out for the study material. You need to order the General Standards Study Guide ( $15.00) and the Ornanmental/Turf Guide( $15.00). This is the deal in Georgia..........you need a Commercial Applicators License in order to put any kind of chemical on a lawn in which you recieve payment . This includes maintence . You get this license by studying the material and passing the test. Once you pass, you need to get a Contractors License as well( about $15). It takes about a week or so to get the material once you print and mail the form with money. There appears to be alot of folks here in Georgia that do not have a license. but the fines can heavy if you get caught. Also, there is alot of valuable information to be learned in the study manual.


Share This Page