• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Fertilizing right after aerating

jajwrigh

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a good friend who is a golf course superintendant and he told me that if fertilizer gets down into the holes that it will harm the grass plant. I am talking about fertilizing a week or two after aerating. I don't believe it, what do you guys think?

br1dge

LawnSite Member
It is usually better, the nutrients get down the the root zone where they are best absorbed. Some nutrients are not mobile in the soil, so what you described is the best case scenario - I think your friend just reconsider giving out such advise.

teeca

LawnSite Bronze Member
on a golf course, where you have very poor root structure due to the grass being mowed so short and always under stress, maybe he is correct, but i always fert and seed (if needed) on the same visit as the aeration and never had a problem. just my thoughts

stumper1620

LawnSite Bronze Member
teeca said:
on a golf course, where you have very poor root structure due to the grass being mowed so short and always under stress, maybe he is correct, but i always fert and seed (if needed) on the same visit as the aeration and never had a problem. just my thoughts
I used to work a golf course, we aerated greens the same way every year,
aerate, drag, blow remaining cores off, mow & fert. all the same day or if running behind, mow next morning then fert. we had beautiful greens, never ever had a burn. :D
I fertilize asap after aerating, i want them roots to run deeper for the nutrients.

Garth

LawnSite Senior Member
Maybe he meant a specific type of fertilizer? Microbial breakdown of some fertilizers is required BEFORE plants can absorb nutrients. Some grandulars will burn plant tissues without being broke down first even if watered in. Just a thought.