1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by IloveMONEY, Mar 26, 2012.

  1. IloveMONEY

    IloveMONEY LawnSite Member
    Messages: 38

    I'm fairly new at fertilizing so I wanted to see opinions on it. Last week here in NY it was in the 70's and even 80's. The grass is green, but now this week its going to be in the 40's and next week 50's. Would it be alright to start fertilizing or should I wait a little longer yet?
  2. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,727

    Go ahead. If the grass is green it should benefit from an application. But if you also have to mow it--you will want to use less nitrogen--and probably slow release forms of nitrogen.
    Are you licensed? If so you would want to apply crabgrass control, and weed control will be coming up soon, dandelions normally come up about the week of the first or second mowing--unfortunately you need crabgrass control about the same week.

    Same conditions here, in Michigan and much of the upper midwest and east.

    I have been searching the park and local bad lawns for signs of crabgrass sprouts--so far not sure--but I do see a lot of knotweed sprouting. Frost expected tonight, 29 degrees.
  3. IloveMONEY

    IloveMONEY LawnSite Member
    Messages: 38

    No, i'm not. I primarily focus on mowing, so thats why i'm asking about fertilizing. It's nothing big time, just a customer asked for it to be done. Ill be spreading a Scotts granulated fertilizer with halts crabgrass preventer. I was just worried that about it being somewhat cold this week and next. Thank you Riggle
  4. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,150

    You must be licensed in NY to apply fertilizer and pesticides.
  5. Teach123

    Teach123 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 155

    Nah...Riggle is right. Go ahead and put it down. Here in Illinois, it has been consistently in the 70's with lows in the 40/50s. I put Halts down 3 weeks ago right before a rain. Only bad thing is...I may have to do a second round here pretty soon...maybe Dimension. I also have been looking through my neighbor's lawn and I see no signs of Crabgrass getting read to take off...so you should be fine.
  6. turf hokie

    turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,751

    nobody cares anymore....go ahead put it down, the next laws passed to restrict the use of fertilizers and pesticides wont affect him anyway....oh wait, it will affect him when they completely ban the use of fertilizer and pesticides completely.

    He's probably on long island where the are more relaxed about the environment anyway:hammerhead:

    Besides the guys from Michigan and Illinois are in the same zone as us so their recommendations on timing and what to do are solid advice, those guys are done with their first rounds and we are just gearing up for ours. sounds like they are right on the same page as us in the northeast.
  7. 32vld

    32vld LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,983

    In Ny you must be licensed to apply pesticides and herbicides. To put down fertilizer you must be certified.
  8. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    And not till after Apr1st now.

    And the minimum fine if caught is 1250 bucks.
  9. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    It would be interestting to know what the "state" knows about Horticulture, and how do the teach 'timing' of fertilizers to the prospective applicators...

    Oh,,, that's right... Burro-crats are concerned that the applicator is able to compute sq. footage on a calculator and cipher NPK percentages... :)

    Wait ... you said, 'herbicides and pesticides' ,,, is 'fertilizer liscence' required or not???
  10. grandview (2006)

    grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,465

    You put anything down for money you need a license.

Share This Page