Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
From Lesco you can get Transition Blend for 95 cents a pound, it's all fescue. I've seen it at Home Depot also, just a little more expensive. Another good fescue blend is Jaguar. Lesco also has Tuf Turf which is 90% fescue and 10% bluegrass, it is $1.05 per pound.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Use Southern Belle in this area. It's a little pricey but man is it perty.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Let's not forget some fescues perform better than others in certain areas.

That said, personally I use Turf Merchant products and Mayo Seeds as well. I like the Mellinium Tall Fescue (single variety) and Turf Gem (blend) from Turf Merchants. I also enjoy the deep green color and long lingering color of the Falcon II and III Tall Fescue from Mayo.

The next one I'll be trying is a blend from Lebenon called Winning Colors, which is a blend of some of the top rated Tall Fescues available today.

But as I said before, places are different. I suggest you check out the National Turfgrass Evalutaion Program web site. Then you can do a little research of your own about what does best in your area and maybe learn a little something new in the process. Look particularly at the species tested neaby where you are or in areas that share a typical climate and soil conditions with your area.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Hi Jusmowin, I got it from Lancaster Farms last year, but they are selling Tidewater's First this year. SO i'm looking for a new supplier. Until then I guess I'll but from Atlantic Garden. I'm calling Herod Seed this week and I'll post if they carry it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey Polecat, I know Herods seed well thats where I bought the Titan from besides Herods is only about 5 minutes away from my house. But Im always on the look out for a better seed. BTW, sure doent look like were gonna get much cut, planted or anything else done this week with this storm comming? Good Luck

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jusmowin and polecat63, Turf and Garden in Chesapeake sells Southern Belle. I think they actually own the Southern Belle name. I deal with the Grafton location and have been very pleased with them. I am by no way a big outfit and when I walk in there, they treat me as I am one of their biggest customers.

Oh and by they way good luck with Isabel. I live in Gloucester and I know you guys are going to get the brunt of this storm in the Tidewater area. Y/all will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Jusmowin, I was just by Gerod's yesterday. I just picked up the mowing comtract for the property their building is on. Whoever had it before me let the property go to poop. ANyway, I didn't see any Southern Belle. Belle has a dark green color and great texture.

We do 4 u thaks for the info. I forgot abot Turf and Garden selling Belle. Turf and Garden here is great as well, unless you need parts. The parts guy is a little grumpy, but even he is more helpful then most.

·
Registered
25 Posts
JD Select blend Tall Fescue blend has worked great for us the last two seasons. I don't know if you have a John Deere Landscapes store nearby, but my local store is super. If you plan to buy in quantities over the year, you can tell them how many bags you will use over the year and still get the quantity price. I usually get a pallet of seed, fert, and lime delivered to me for only 50$ total delivery fee. I like this seed better than the Lesco premium blend and it is about 20$ less/50#bag. Their customer service is great too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.