• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Fescue in Louisiana?

soilsample

LawnSite Member
Hello... I posted this in the Homeowner assistance forum, but didn't get much help.......

Fescue in Louisiana?
I've recently had some leveling done to my property.... preparing to build a new home.

The front "yard" is 165 x 140 feet. The soil is free of any grass at this time due to leveling. The topsoil is dry with lots of "marbles" that don't / won't break up. I don't have a water source at the property and won't for 4 weeks .

I have spread 35lb of fescue seed over this area and raked in the seed with a drag hare...... 1" of light rain the next night.

Should I expect some decent results from the fescue seed (given the lack of available watering). My initial concern is keeping the soil from washing out into the ditch.

Can I eventually grow a good fescue turf in Louisiana (south)? I really like the look of fescue, and would like to make some nice stripes with my new Dixie Chopper.

Thanks

grassworks

LawnSite Member
given that fescue is a cool season grass and you are in a warm season area , I would doubt you will have much sucess without constant water in many months of the year. Expect to lose most this summer.