Fescue new seeding issues

Alphanguy

LawnSite Member
So... Seeding is not something I do all the time, Kansas City area... I seeded a lawn at a house that was just remodeled, it was basically a "Have to" thing, even though it was too early. Well... the shady areas came up and are doing relatively well, the sunny areas I sowed first on August 8, it came up, then burned up and died. Sowed it again on the 20th, same thing. Third time, sowed again 6 days ago, it's germinating very well... it's supposed to be decent weather the next 4 days, but back to 90 AGAIN for several days in a row this weekend. 90's on the 20th of September? So do I just keep sowing over and over until the 90's eventually go away? Last year I sowed my OWN backyard on August 30, and by September 30, I had perfect lawn and mowed it for the first time. Should I just put more water to it? suggestions? I've been setting the sprinkler system on it for 12 minutes twice a day, once mid morning, and again at about 6:30 PM

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like significant lack of water to me.

Weather is 5 minutes 12 minutes or 25 minutes the time is irrelevant.

The seeds need to stay continuously moist from the minute they hit the ground through germination until they're about an inch tall

OP
A

Alphanguy

LawnSite Member
Sounds like significant lack of water to me.

Weather is 5 minutes 12 minutes or 25 minutes the time is irrelevant.

The seeds need to stay continuously moist from the minute they hit the ground through germination until they're about an inch tall
Well, I have germination right now... quite good, in fact. So you think it will make it through that heat wave if I just water more frequently?

KerbDMK

LawnSite Platinum Member
One of the reasons your seedlings failed was just because cool-season grasses don't grow roots of any significance in soil temps above 70 degrees and no root growth at all above 77 degrees. That's one of the reasons universities suggest waiting for soil temps to drop to 70 degrees before seeding.

Top Forums