1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

fescue seed question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Sep 29, 2009.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I was just overseeding with a tall turf type fescue blend and my father and I got into this discussion. Will a seed develope into just a single blade of grass, or a grass plant about 2-3" in diameter? Thanks for clearing this up.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt that anything survives on one blade of grass. The size of the clump would be interesting to know. Plant some in a clean part of the garden and observe what one sprout develops into.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

It is a clump type grass. You will get one plant per seed that germinates. This is the why you need to overseed a number of times to get a good stand of fescue. You have to fill in the spots that do not get a plant the first planting. IF you are trying to change a Bgrass lawn to fescue it takes several years by my experience. I live in the country and changed my lawn from blue to fescue and it took several years before I had mostly fescue.