Fh500v engine swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashs inc, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Ok guys few days ago posted about my scag with Fh500v engine and I have determined that the internal governor shaft is broken. I found an Fh500v on an old John Deere riding mower. Will this one work and can I convert it from electric start to pull start. Not really wanting to spend a ton on this mower a shop quoted me 600 to 700 to fix that governor

F71DA589-A586-4960-855D-542B00BE30EE.jpeg

2. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

If the engines are the same model, I would think it can be done. I would check shaft sizes on both engines before starting, then look at the old engine and see if it has the same carburetor, clutch, etc. as the newer engine. Then try swapping the recoil starter over to the new engine to verify that it will work. Many small things to correct to do the swap, just make a list and take your time... Good luck.

3. paul kellam

paul kellam LawnSite Member
    from bis nd

I just installed that same engine in a cub cadet Z force 60, I had my doubt's about whether or not it had the power to operate a 3 blade 60 inch deck but it works great!! tough engine!!

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

If you pull the motor and call around, you can prolly get it done a lot cheaper. Try Craigslist fer a mochanic. Google fer a shop manual fer yer motor. The repair is a bit involved, but if yer handy with tools, and have a manual handy...
    As was mentioned, gotta check fer correct shaft dimensions.
    Should be able to swap the manual start parts over.