FH661v problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kingster, Jul 16, 2017.

1. kingster

kingster LawnSite Member

I have been through it all with my used exmark lazer 44". Well I when I brought the mower used it had a kawasaki FH500v engine. It had a huge oil leak, it would burn plugs every weekend before I start cutting and it also smoked. The power was not optimal enough to power the blades and hydros. Quickly I start to get frustrated because some days I will off schedule getting to my accounts and we all know in the lawn care TIME is MONEY. So I stumbled upon a local guy selling a Kawasaki 22hp (FH661v). I paid 200 bucks for it, it ran beautifully and had zero leaks. I brought another hydro drive spindle and went on with the engine swap. BOY did this new engine make a difference. It was more reliable and very strong. Never knew my mowers true potential until then. I do all residential accounts, but have 2 huge lots I cut and my new engine tends to kill after about 35 minutes of cutting time. I usually have to wait 20 minutes before I can get back to cutting.
    My question is what's causing this problem?
    The way it kills is like a sputter. sort of like it has starving for fuel. instead of a instant kill if the plugs would stop firing.
    what do you think the problem may be?

2. Tony Micheluchi

Tony Micheluchi LawnSite Member

Ignition Coil

sjessen likes this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

And if it is a coil, replace them both. If one is bad the other isn't far behind.

Breezmeister likes this.
  4. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

Kaw coils (short life) are a known issue. Yours is probably 'heat soaking' and dropping out, causing you to run on just one cylinder.

I'd replace BOTH and see if that solves your problem. Even if that isn't the entire issue, if yours are old...replacing them now will save you the headache later and eliminate them as the 'trouble spot'.

Generally I dislike replacing parts without first 'testing' but in the case of coils, they can fail intermittently and thus be impossible to test reliably.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  5. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member