1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Field of weeds, this price worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmow, Jun 19, 2003.

1. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

I have been asked to mow 1 acre of 4.5 ft. weeds. For labor I would get $150. The rental of the 24 inch machine that can cut the weeds is paid for by lot owner. Is it worth it?

2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

You should be able to mow it in 3 hrs (maybe 1). I say you are lucky to get $150. Look into a larger machine though, 24" is small. Maybe a hay cutter thing.

Make sure of what he wants as an end result. I assume go over it 1x with the brush mower, hitting the high stuff down to 6". In 3-4 days, after it has dried, hit it with a Z or WB if he wants it shorter. Charge him again, and mow every week thereafter. $50 - $60 for the extra mows.

Now if he wants it bagged........

Any farmers there? Have them cut and bale it and charge them for the hay. Make $$ on both sides....

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it depends on how long it is going to take you and what you have to do.

if it takes all day--bad deal.

if it takes only one pass with the machine and you are out in three hours--not too bad a deal.

I did one like that for $350. the agreement was two passes only and I was outta there with a big fat check.

why doesn't the guy just get it bush hogged? around here, any farmer would do that for $30.

GEO