Lawn Care Forum banner

field test -- help!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  James Cormier 
#1 ·
Jim @ TURF magazine here.

I posted this a while back ... not a single response. Does that mean there's noone in the group interested in this? Jezzz.

""Well, I'm looking for a pro who would be interested in doing a 3-month field test of a stand-on sprayer manufactured by L.T. Rich Products.

The test report will be published in the magazine.

They'd like it done in Indiana March-May.""

Any takers?

:confused:

#7 ·
I have 2 perma greens, and I would love to test that machine.

Here's a little about me

Been in lawn care 18 years, on my own for 10, Started small, grew way to big, then sold off to get back to small owner operator, that just does lawn care ( fertin & squirtin)

I love the idea of these machines but I was very disspointed in the perma green, I sure you can search in here to find my complaints.

You can call me at 1-877-653-7866
Jim

#8 ·
Jim, Here's a question for ya.
Why not run a turf mag like car/motorcyle mags? I guessing your income is from the ads so you dont want to say bad things about some machines. I feel that you are doing alittle disservice to us the end users by doing this.

I read many motorcycle mags and if a manufactur comes out with a crappy product they rip it. AND the manufactur fixes it.

Use perma green as a example, that machine has so many flaws right from the start, the end user is the R&D for that company cause every year they come out with a new machine. Some flaws are fixed only to have others show up on the new machine.

Back when we were in the mowing business we bought a toro z355, what a mistake that machine was, if I got a chance to read some honest info then i would have never spent 10k on a mower.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

#9 ·
Hi Jim,

Here's the answer to your question: Our revenue is indeed from advertising ... but unlike other magazines, we have never shrunk away from telling the truth. The field tests we've done to date are published unedited (except for typos, etc). If someone finds a problem --- like the ones found with the Perma Green sprayer -- it's right there in the magazine.

Now if we had a field test article which was obviously done by someone with an ax to grind, we wouldn't run it. But fair criticism is fair.

My guess is that you don't read my magazines much ... or you'd know that we don't sell you guys down the river, ever.

Also -- if I knew a piece of equipment was junk (and there is some junk out there) -- I wouldn't see any value in getting it field tested. Why give junk all that exposure?

Example: should I do a field test using a Craftsman rider for commercial purposes? I don't think so. I used to have one. For mowing my lawn (small at the time) it was just fine. For commercial use, it's junk.

Thing is, most of what the manufacturers in this industry offer is good, solid equipment ... so I have no reason to contemplate any disservice to you folks.

There is no "tone" to this note ... I'm not offended in the slightest ... it is a fair question and I hope you feel as if this was a fair answer.

Jim Kendrick
President/Publisher
TURF Magazine
FARMING Magazine
SUPERINTENDENT Magazine
LANDSCAPE CONSTRUCTION Magazine
FOREST PRODUCTS EQUIPMENT Magazine

#10 ·
Thanks,
I do read your mag monthly, been getting it for years, I dont see too many field test for products though.

I wouldnt expect you to test a craftsman rider for commerical, but if you do a test on a walker, why wouldnt you compare it to its compettiton?

My guess if did that and had to pick a "winner" the loser in the test would pull there adv.dollars.

Right?

"Also -- if I knew a piece of equipment was junk (and there is some junk out there) -- I wouldn't see any value in getting it field tested. Why give junk all that exposure?" you said

If its junk then call it out!! If you save 1 small company from spending there hard earned money on something that dosent do what it should, doesnt that make sense?

Ive been reading these mags since the mid 80's they seem to be gettiing bigger and bigger with ads.

BTW....hopefully your not getting a "tone" from me and yes....you give a fair answer.

#11 ·
Yeah, we just started field tests about a year ago. It's tough to (1) get the manufacturers to ship products and (2) to get qualified folks to do field tests.

I have one thread on lawnsite right now trying to find someone who will test a ride-on sprayer in Indiana for Rich Mfg.

I'll go see if it's getting any action. Meanwhile Jim, if you see me posting for a field test which is appropriate for your operation, please chime on in. Could be fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.