Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rain let up long enough today for me to get two accounts done, so I finally got a chance to use my new Stihl FS 90 R trimmer.

These are weekly accounts, St. Augustine grass mowed at 4 inches.

It was very light, the same weight or less than my old Echo SRM-210. Started up easily, 2-3 pulls cold, 1 pull warm.

I loved it. It has great power, just rips right through the weekly growth like it's nothing. The guard on this was better at shielding the grass than the Echo, my legs weren't covered in clippings like they usually are. At one account, there was a small area of overgrown weedy brush like plants that I neglected to cut down before, so I used the trimmer on those. It cut through them with no problem where with the Echo I would have to start at the top and work my way down. Not much vibration. Someone posted here about how some 2 cycle trimmers "grab" the turf and take a bite out of it when on full throttle, this one does not.

The bump head works like any other bump head, nothing special.

Overall, I think the FS 90 is a great trimmer. I don't understand why everyone hates the 4mix engines.

· Registered
12 Posts
theres nothing really wrong with the 4mix motors if you take care of them by running the proper premix and leave the guard on the trimmers so you don't labor the engine. the fs90r doesn't feel as light as my srm-210 echo by any means unless you throw the speed feed head on it. its not the trimmer that takes the bite out of the turf either its the person trimming. nice review otherwise

· Registered
397 Posts
We have 3 90 R's and 2 90's, we love them and they have never given us an ounce of trouble, with daily use, in the last 2 years, cant say that for the 2 month old Echo SRM-280 currently at the dealer (boy was that a stupid impulse buy):nono:.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a few more months of using this trimmer, I feel it's time to update this thread.

Now that the engine is broken in, my trimmer is even more powerful than before. I actually used it for some minor brush cutting, it handled that no problem except for some bigger plants. If I had the saw blade, I think I could have cut through it.

The guard isn't as great as it seemed, better than the Echo guard though.

It is pretty good with starting. I have left this thing sitting on the trailer for a week, and it still starts up in 1-2 pulls no prime or choke. When it's hot, 1st pull.

The bump head is very average. It's not a joy to respool. But, my Echo's bump head was like that as well.

This trimmer is very light. Maybe a little heavier than the 210, but no noticeable difference in weight.

The thing I absolutely hate on this trimmer is the gas cap. It is a PITA to screw on. I have lost a full tank of gas because I couldn't secure it before. I am a lot better now, I just have to be very diligent in checking to make sure it's secured.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this trimmer and may be buying another one soon.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
After a few more months of using this trimmer, I feel it's time to update this thread.

Now that the engine is broken in, my trimmer is even more powerful than before. I actually used it for some minor brush cutting, it handled that no problem except for some bigger plants. If I had the saw blade, I think I could have cut through it.

The guard isn't as great as it seemed, better than the Echo guard though.

It is pretty good with starting. I have left this thing sitting on the trailer for a week, and it still starts up in 1-2 pulls no prime or choke. When it's hot, 1st pull.

The bump head is very average. It's not a joy to respool. But, my Echo's bump head was like that as well.

This trimmer is very light. Maybe a little heavier than the 210, but no noticeable difference in weight.

The thing I absolutely hate on this trimmer is the gas cap. It is a PITA to screw on. I have lost a full tank of gas because I couldn't secure it before. I am a lot better now, I just have to be very diligent in checking to make sure it's secured.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this trimmer and may be buying another one soon.
Sounds good man. I would like to try one because I need something more powerful than my 25cc redmaxs and they take forever to warm up.:dizzy:

· Registered
1,141 Posts
As far as I am concerned, my FS130 is an awesome machine. No need to hit the prime button when starting. Just choke and pull one time and get the choke back open asap and go to work.

One thing I do with all my 2 cycle gear is shake it vigorously before the first start so that if the fuel and ethanol have separated overnight it will be mixed up and usable.

We are stuck in FL with a mandatory 10% ethanol at all stations even marinas.

Great machines though. Good review Prince!

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I am concerned, my FS130 is an awesome machine. No need to hit the prime button when starting. Just choke and pull one time and get the choke back open asap and go to work.

One thing I do with all my 2 cycle gear is shake it vigorously before the first start so that if the fuel and ethanol have separated overnight it will be mixed up and usable.

We are stuck in FL with a mandatory 10% ethanol at all stations even marinas.

Great machines though. Good review Prince!
Ya, the ethanol rule stinks. But that's FL. Down here, Stihl is the way to go.

I see you have a BR 420 Magnum. I was thinking of buying one. Do you like yours?

· Registered
358 Posts
man i had an fs90 till it got stolen, but i hated the power curve that thing had. i guess im just used to the 250 R's well any way i baught a 130 after my 90 was stolen and i will never go with anything smaller than a 130 again.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Jerry Lee, I agree about the 250's. I had two and then sold them because I was an idiot. Now I have a FS-100rx which was a waste of money and an Echo SRM-265T which is a good trimmer. But nothing compares to the power to weight of the FS-250R trimmer.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Jerry Lee, I agree about the 250's. I had two and then sold them because I was an idiot. Now I have a FS-100rx which was a waste of money and an Echo SRM-265T which is a good trimmer. But nothing compares to the power to weight of the FS-250R trimmer.
I need a big trimmer like that cuz my redmaxs are underpowered for thick weeds and brush. I just need to get a dealer I like to start selling stihl:dizzy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.