Fighting disease

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Kenneth Frevola, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Kenneth Frevola

Kenneth Frevola LawnSite Member

Ok so I follow the LCN,THE LAWN REBEL and a few others on YouTube. I’ve been watching the LCN for close to 3years. This year I had a big problem with red thread and brown patch.I treated with Scott’s disease X AND PROPICONAZOLE 14.3. Fungus seems to go away with 2 treatments but then once it rains it’s comes right back. I had major damage done to front yard which I had to rake out all the dead spots and reseed. This was a battle all summer long, and even now when it rains I see the legions on the blades again. I’m in NEW YORK and know the lawn will be going dormant,just looking for a plan for next year. I also use John Perry’s RGS,humic12,air8 and micro Greene products along with milo. Thank you for any ideas.

dKoester likes this.
  2. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When using a fungicide it is non selective. It will kill the good fungi and harmful fungi. under a microscope the harmful ones grow back faster than the beneficial fungi. This is what happened.

4. dKoester

Try using a grass type that is brown patch resistant.
    Fix any drainage problems.
    Test your soil using the slake test to determine if your soil has proper drainage.
    Build your soils organic matter using organic fertilizer along with stabilized compost.
    Stop using synthetic fertilizers which are salt based. These salts will build up in the soil causing a bunch more problems for the soil biology.

5. dKoester

Welcome to the site Kenneth!

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

For brown patch do an early spring app of Armada followed in about 2 weeks by an app of Strobe. These are my 2 go to Fungicide products. Then it would be beneficial to hit it again early summer then see what you got. From all I know you will never really get rid of all the fungi as the mycelium can be multiple feet under the soil and millions of spores are down as well. But you can keep it at bay with multiple rotated apps and the cultural practices you are already doing .. raking aeration and dethatching.

7. OP
    OP
    Kenneth Frevola

Kenneth Frevola LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback, I use milogranite and other organic fertilizers. So I should over seed with a grass type that is brown patch resistant? It’s crazy how fast the lawn turns yellow after rain, it’s basically the next day.

8. dKoester

If you have some time, post some picks. I would like to see what your dealing with. I know it was very rainy early this year for sure.