1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

figuring cubic yards???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clc19chase, Oct 6, 2011.

1. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

got a mulch job to give a quote on. I need to know how to convert my square footage into cubic yards needed. thanks

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

3. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

one cubic yard of mulch spread 2" deep = ~150 ft^2

4. treeman06

treeman06 LawnSite Member

length x width x depth desired of mulch in inches, divide by 12, then divide by 27. This will give you cubic yards.

5. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

One cubic yard of mulch will cover approximately 10 feet x 10 feet three inches deep

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member

A yard being 27 cu ft is a given. Other useful numbers to commit to memory are 1 cu ft is 1728 cu inches. One square foot is 144 sq inches or cubic inches if it is to a depth of 1". One gallon is about 231 cu inches. For every square foot of bed your trying to mulch to a depth of 1" you will needs .003 cubic yards.

You also need to realize that man in general is not a scientific mulching machine. Always factor in a fudge factor so you don't come up short. 10% is a decent fudge factor. I always keep a scientific calculator in my truck.

7. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I add 10% to every thing I bid. I learned the hard way about that, LOL

L x W x D/324 + 10% gets me there everytime. I don't go anywhere without my calculator and measuring wheel, these are must have's at all times.

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I do the same thing... I never found out the hard way and I don't plan on it either!