• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Figuring stop charge per app

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I currently do a min charge or per 1000 sqft. I’m starting to think a stop charge would help insure I was covering all my cost properly. I want to compare pricing structure.

i also need to figure my extra per k price since our avg lawn in 12k and many are acre +

so your stop charge includes what? Equipment recovery/maintenance, shop/business overhead? are you recovering labor in the per k part or splitting it up.

you find all your cost and divide by number of stops. So how do you find your stop charge changes over time with growth? If you do 5000 stops this year and 7000 stops next? Stop charge would go down but I’m sure overall expenses would go up based on needs.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
I actually went down on stop and raised my per k charge because 1) price of product went up and 2) for me a better way to price the lawn to recover labor. I'm now at $28 stop. That price will probably never go down again, if anything it may increase a bit as costs rise. In that I'm covering truck gas, time for drive as well as other expenses associated with the truck (an average as close as I could). In the per k charge is labor to apply product, equipment expenses, product and profit. Now the closer my stops are together the more some of that stop fee could add into the profit mix.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I actually went down on stop and raised my per k charge because 1) price of product went up and 2) for me a better way to price the lawn to recover labor. I'm now at $28 stop. That price will probably never go down again, if anything it may increase a bit as costs rise. In that I'm covering truck gas, time for drive as well as other expenses associated with the truck (an average as close as I could). In the per k charge is labor to apply product, equipment expenses, product and profit. Now the closer my stops are together the more some of that stop fee could add into the profit mix.
Yep. Having a stop fee in my mind should help with pricing accurately. If my stop fee covers the operating side as well as equipment recovery then I can always adjust the per k price to cover product or labor increases.

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
I think we are at $27/stop fee, may bump that up to $29 next season effective for all customers ($2 price increase/app)

Honestly we don't have any metrics as to why it's that much, may have to dive into that this winter