1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Figuring tonage for boulder wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawn jockey, Sep 30, 2003.

1. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Im in a need of a little help! I was wondering what kind of calculations everybody uses for determining the tonage of boulders needed for a retaining wall? Is there a way with sq. footage x something? THANK YOU Cory

2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

If you can let me know what type of boulder and height of wall can let u know a formula to use.

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bud,

When ever I build boulder walls, I usually use basketball size boulders to build them. The formula they always taught us in college is that using that size boulders, one ton of boulders will build a wall approx. one foot high and twenty foot long. You can use that but I always figure it based on one foot high and fifteen feet long. I usually end up rite on the money when I use that. If anything it will allow you a little extra too. Cause you always have boulders left over.