File a Lein for Non Payers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jimithing31, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. jimithing31

    jimithing31 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 145

    I am new to this industry and this site and am learning quite a bit. I recently bought a lawn business where I acquired 45 accounts and all the equipment. I added 6 accounts in the first two weeks I have been in operation.

    My question is what are the thoughts on filing a Lein on ones home for non payment? I know here in Florida a contractor can do this for construction services of any kind.

    Are there fees associated in doing this with courthouses? Seems like a pretty sure way to get your money. Although it may take a while, eventually they will have to pay and just the threat of a Lein may prompt someone to pay immediatly.

    Looking for opinions

  2. LTL

    LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa
    Messages: 98

    I know here in OK you have to let the person know in advance that if they do not pay a lien will be placed on their property. Also, it's about $25 to file.
  3. jimithing31

    jimithing31 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 145

    Man only one reply to this?? THought more would have jumped in on this topic...

    Anyone .. Anyone...
  4. Toy2

    Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,924

    Make sure its not a rental, if it is your out the $$.
  5. J&R Landscaping

    J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,095

    Search the topic, there are dozens of threads on this subject.
  6. Mrs. H

    Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 708

    You can easily go to the courthouse, see if the property is owned by your debtor. There will most likely be a fee to file a small claim. The sheriff will notify the debtor of your intent to sue by delivering nice letter to their home or work, with the court date on it. A judge will decide if there is a judgement placed against the property.

    This will probably only work if there is property to secure the lein with. Otherwise, you may just have to place it with a collection agency and let them hound the debtor until they pay.

Share This Page