• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Fill in the Blanks...

GreenerNow LLC

LawnSite Member
Hello to everyone in the forum! I'm glad i came accross this, as i've gained priceless information. Spring '10 will be my first year of operation and i cannot wait...A little about me, im a young gun at 18 and ever since i started working at 15 i realized my life goal, i want to be the employer not the employee. which brings me here, anwho...
my question is what am i missing in my steps of getting started?
1.BUSINESS PLAN-work in progress
2.register name and get tax id
3.obtain liability insurance
4.open a business checking
5.get a dedicated business cell
5.get a logo desiged(need help with this i have the logo made up in my mind almost to a tee however am not 100% on how to get it designed so i can use it for all my documents, marketing, etc )
6.use logo and produce marketing tools for my biz ie. business cards, flyers, door hangers, yard signs, truck magnet(for now), trailer sign etc.
7.Get t-shirts made about 5 to start(have a friend that does screen printing)
8.buy a used blower,edger,trimmer,trailer, a nice 21" push(thinking honda)to start, gas cans, and other misc. tools needed
9.Business software to track overhead,gross,etc.(what do you guys reccomend ?as i will be mainly just doing residentail, small commercial something quick and easy to stay on top of my game)
10. And at this point start busting a## and grow to where i want to be
Thank you for reading this and look forward to hearing your input!
:waving:

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to say but you probably wont like my answer lol….I would have to say the most important thing you are missing is experience. You will only get one shot at making a name for yourself. A lot of people think this is easy work and there are no tricks to the trade however that is wrong. I know plenty of people that went to collage for this stuff and still failed. There is a lot more to it then just grabbing a mower and few customers. Your young and have plenty of life, go get a job with another service for at least 2 years then come back and start your own.

Just a thought for you. You want to be an employer instead of an employee….hate to say it but as an employee you only have 1 boss but as an employer you will have hundreds of bosses. Not only does an employer have hundreds of bosses but they also have all the liability.

I am all for you starting your own I just don’t want you to have big dreams because you think you know what you’re doing.

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
One last thought….

An employee has set hours. As an employer you will find yourself working 80 a week easily, sometimes even more. If you're not mowing you will be doing paper work, research, fixing some ones property that an employee screwed up, customer relations, or working on equipment. The grass is not always greener on the other side. get ready to loose your personal life because all of your time is going to be tied up in your business.

ConnCut

LawnSite Member
well said. I've been mowing since like 14, I'm 19 now and of course still gaining experience. At least get a part time job and mow lawns as another part time job for now. Then see how it goes/how you like it.

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Couple things.

Dont get a business cell. You dont need one right now. Get a dedicated land line and have it forwarded to your cell if need be. It will save you money in the long run.

If you dont have employees you dont need a Tax ID # at the moment. Just open the business as a DBA to start with and later down the road you can incorporate, or LLC...etc and then you will need one. Keep it simple for now.

Try not to buy anything used. I know its hard but new well running equipment will save you headaches and potential downtime. If what you mentioned above is all you need then you can do that for under $1500.00.

I use Gopher software. Ive outgrown it but I think its a good starter program for invoicing and scheduling.

Its almost March. I dont know about up there but mowing down here is starting in 30-45 days. Start getting your name out there. Advertise early and advertise often!

OP
G

GreenerNow LLC

LawnSite Member
thanks guys, yea i completley agree there is a learning curve that will come with time,i have a very experienced friend that will be my right hand man once i reach a certain number of acxcounts and am i well aware of the long hours and dedication it takes to run a business and am ready to devote my blood,sweat,tears into this become i am hungry for it..yes i will buy new bare essential equpment by the start of '11, this is just to get my feet wet and yea i am advertising as soon as i possibly can

jadyejr

LawnSite Member
seriously man dont kill your dreams... I'm 24, when i was 18 i opened up my first used car dealership, everyone gave me crap about it... 6 years later, and 5 dealerships later.. I'm not to worried about those turds.... Now im out of the car business, and doing something less retail lol... anyways... If you have the drive and ambition you'll do fine... You got your head on straight, the business plan is a great idea... I think your on task... Best advice anyones ever given me is think big, and act small.....

Ok as far as where you are your doing good, what I did as far as a phone number was simple, I have 2 cell phones already, but I hate giving out those number except to friends, I just have a stigma about it... I have a Google Voice number, the way it works is, you get the number for free than all the calls get forwarded wherever you want. I set up mine to always show that business number when I get a call, that way I know its a business call. As I grow I intend to keep that number, just forward it to an office. Plus all the Voice mails and call logs are stored online so you can access them anytime. If you want a free invite let me know and I'll send you one.

Good Luck Bro!

jadyejr

LawnSite Member
Also, get the tax id, and incorporate! It doesn't cost much and in a couple years if you need business credit or something, you've already had a couple years to establish it. Also the liability is always good to keep separated. There's a few times that I was really glad that I had INC my dealerships. I expect the same with this. Just work hard, and yeah your gonna work harder than any of your guys, your gonna have to handle a lot more stress, but it is worth it to know that you control your life, and you at the end of the day you enjoy the feeling of knowing you built your empire. Anyone can work 9-5 and go to applebees on friday after getting they're paycheck, but that will never be me.

pkra12

LawnSite Member
Greenernow, everyone's going to jump all over me for this but I was in your shoes once. Hold off on almost everything on your list, it might not be right but times are tough and you have to get by. I mean no taxes, no insurance, no business checking, practically no steps 1-10 on your list. Chances are you aren't going to have much business your first year and will go relatively unnoticed. Put the money saved into a quality 48" walk behind and go to town. Now with that said if your first year is a success and you truly love it than it is time to get going on all those steps 1-10 in your post. Do what you have to do to get off the ground.

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
Greenernow, everyone's going to jump all over me for this but I was in your shoes once. Hold off on almost everything on your list, it might not be right but times are tough and you have to get by. I mean no taxes, no insurance,
I'll be the first to jump all over you, pkra. Greenernow, get insurance even if you are doing two lawns. You never know what can happen in the way of liability.
And there goes your business dream. Poof. It's called insurance for a reason.

Taxes. Quite simply it's the law. Don't mess with the law. Pay up.