1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Filtration?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by fmjnax, Mar 30, 2008.

1. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

Well, I just got done reading through about 6 pages of results and gave up after not finding much information to help...

I'm in the process of digging my pond that is estimated at about 2,500 gallons. I need to seriously rethink my filtration idea (was going with a DIY 3-barrel bio-filter). The pond will be more of a water garden than a fish pond, but we do plan on having some goldfish in it eventually. I don't want a really expensive pump (I have the Pondmaster Mag 3000 in mind). I don't want a filtration option that is going to cost much more than the pump (say, under $200). I will be adding a 10-15' stream and a waterfall in the future, but that will be phase 2 of the pond.

So, how would you guys meet my needs if I was your customer?

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I would excavate an up-flow bog filter. Lined with epdm liner, filled with pea gravel or clean crushed gravel. I would focus on the surface area of the filter not on the depth. More plants= more filtration. The bog filter serves as the start of your falls and stream also.

3. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

Excellent! I never even thought of a bog filter! Ultimately kill two birds with one stone. I was planning on having an upper basin/waterfall pond (strictly to hold a constant water flow; not for ornamental reasons). Is that where you are saying to make it a bog filter instead of "just another pond", or would the bog filter be it's own thing? Also, would I run the gravel up to within a few inches of the top, of should I also use a layer of soil? If I should use soil, what kind is best to use?

I was planning on the upper basin being about 4x5 and a couple feet deep. I am using clay (we have thick, black clay here) from the excavation of the pond to build up the land for the waterfall, so dimensions can easily be worked around. I also suppose this means the waterfall and stream will all be phase 1, which is ultimately no big deal. Just extends my "fill-up" date a little while longer.

Now for a slightly off-topic question: The pump I have been looking at is a submersible pump (try to save a bit of money over a direct-drive/external). Would I still be able to use a bottom drain? If so, how would I configure it (still researching bottom drains, so please bear with me)? In my previous 3 ponds I have done (all very small, under 250 gallons), I use a submersible pump and just "tube" it to where it needs to go, hiding the tubes the best I can. Now that I'm on a much larger scale, I don't want to have to try and hide 3" or 4" pipes if at all possible.

Thanks!

4. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

This reminds me when you underbudget your design, you will surely end up over budget on construction and maintenance. I think that's true in all industries.

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

spend the money on a pump and filter.. it will be worth it in the long run.. 2500 gallons is a lot of water to be pushing with a pondmaster.. not that pondmasters are a bad pump but not the best for that size pond.
    how many amps does a pondmaster 3000 pull any way? 2 amps? you can get an external pump that will handle more flow for lest than 2 amps. less amps means less electrical consumption and less per month to operate.
    plus with a submersible pump you have to worry about clogging. and its a pain to fish that thing out of the water and clean it.
    If you really want a submersible i would look into the "solid" handling pumps. these can usually handle leaves and such up to 1/4" or more,, so there is less clogging.

If it we me building this pond i would install a bottom drain/skimmer external pump and an external bead filter.. the bog would be a plus.

also install a backwash/drain on your bog... makes life easier,