Final Cuts for Season 1.5”.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I've heard this rumor.

Only proof I've seen is that the few yards I've seen snow mold on was the ones left long. Usually the people who try to skip cutting in October. So maybe a short height plays a role idk. I just keep my lawns cut I do drop a half inch but that's because it mulches the leaves up better.

Cam15, Valk, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

I've never seen snow mold here in SW Ohio.
    It has to be region specific, I would guess.
    You guys up north of me have to probably deal with that a little more intensely?

Cam15 likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I wouldn't say it's common. But on years we keep a long snow pack it will pop up here and there.

Cam15, Love the Green Biz and hort101 like this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have had it on my own yard lots of springs, and the height for the last few cuts never seemed to matter- 2.5" or 3.5". What I noticed was that it happens when it gets warm in say Jan or early Feb and we have a melt off and then a lot more snow.

The worst seems to be in springs after I have used my snowblower on my CUT. It throws the snow out across the yard nicely, but it also makes it packed down a lot more than just what has fallen from the sky gets.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Snow mold is a thing. I've seen it plenty on lawns left real scraggly in the Fall. Will shoot pics Spring

Cam15 likes this.
  6. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

We mow at 2.75" then drop the blades .25" twice in October. I too believe that it facilitates leaf removal. This is especially true when the leaves get matted down.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Udder cow cookies. What do all golf course superintendents fear over the winter in the north? Snow mold

It's a cultural thing, not a cutting height thing.

Longer blades of grass also help when mulching leaves.

We stopped dropping mowing heights 4 or 5 years ago. No detrimental effects whatsoever.

8. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Happens most here on lawns not given a final cut and grass blades droop maybe not only factor but definitely a height correlation. Never see it on lawns cut short for Winter here

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Height of cut has nothing to do with it. If it did, no golf course in snow country would ever have it and they wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars on preventative applications for snow mold.

Again, you know not what you speak of.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

I guess. Happens here on lawns left scraggly where blades bent over. Never on lawns cut short.