Final Cuts for Season 1.5”.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

flybynite likes this.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Scotts says that, but that doesn't make it set in stone.
    It's relatively easy to get rid of snow mold. You can drag a rake around the grass surface or set a dethatcher to lightly drag the grass and tow with a lawn tractor, but the easiest way I have found it is to use a BP and blow the grass loose from its matted condition so it dries up quickly. never had it return after doing that.

3. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

I guess you know more than Scott’s but what I see here is lawns left long with/blades bent over generally get snow mold

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Scotts isn't everywhere and can't speak for everything or situation in an area. I know what I have experienced myself. Period.

5. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Right. Here, Scott’s assessment plays out. Lawns cut short far less likely to show snow mould.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I have a Scotts lawn care book too and it says the same thing as what you posted. I use a lot of Scotts products so I am not against the company, but not everything they say is hard and fast rule.

7. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Snow mold isn't the end of the world -it does grow out quickly in the Spring. These pics are from a client's lawn in 2015 and the worst I ever saw. The lawn recovered 3 weeks after these pics were taken.
    SNOW MOLD1.jpg SNOW MOLD1.jpg

SNOW MOLD 2.jpg

Ridin' Green, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

So if you follow there advice...you should be cutting your customers' lawns at .5-1"...why don't you?

I can't find the info right now, but there are a ton of factors that go into snow mold being an issue. Height of cut might play a factor depending on the timing, but it is generally in highly fertilized turf (especially nitrogen) and then many factors that can't be controlled because it depends on the weather.

If I'm bored I'll continue to look at it. But just as you claim your short lawns don't have an issue, I can say my lawns cut at the same height we do all summer don't either.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

Now THAT is something region specific! lol

(I don't even have a snowblower. lol)

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. hal

hal LawnSite Silver Member
    from Georgia

I don't have one either, or a snow shovel, sled or winter coat! If and I mean If it does snow usually a bp blower will work unless we get ice.

Ridin' Green likes this.