Finally Bought a skid sprayer, getting ready for fall apps, looking for assistance

rbljack

LawnSite Senior Member
First a little background. I have my license, and have been spraying with gas powered backpack and walking boom. That works great, but I feel like Im spending too much time mixing chemicals. Im in West Texas and mostly Bermuda lawns, some St Aug, and some fescue as well. Hell..ive even got mixed lawns all at the same location...LOL. So Ive been keeping an eye out and finally bought a skid. 100 gallon tank, Honda engine, 300 ft manual hose reel, Hypro D252 pump. It came with an imitation JD9 gun. I just ordered a GNC Max 2000 gun (similar to lesco gun, but comes with all three tips to adjust gallon per K outputs). I have already cleaned and rinsed the tank out using tank cleaner (let is soak for 2 days actually). Checked the oil in the engine and pump. Checked system for leaks, seems to be ok. I still need to get the new gun hooked up and practice calibrating. Im going for 2 gallons per 1k. I also will have my walking boom/gas powered backpack set up/calibrated for 2 gal per 1k. My thought is that I can use it on the St aug, and fescue grasses when needed, and keep the skid mixed for the Bermuda lawns.

I'm looking for tips/tricks on using the skid and have been reading about how to do the applications. Some say overlap, but in other calibration videos they aren't. Thinking my first application will be a Prodiamine appl, with Air-8 because it was mentioned that the Air8 product will actually help clean out the tank, pump, lines, etc. Maybe add a post emergent as well.

Could use some assistance with :
1. how to mix granular fert into the skid?
2. Hose management; do you do anything to take precautions so the hose doesn't come in contact with the muffler?
3. Am I on track, any other advice appreciated!! Thanks

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm looking for tips/tricks on using the skid and have been reading about how to do the applications. Some say overlap, but in other calibration videos they aren't. Thinking my first application will be a Prodiamine appl, with Air-8 because it was mentioned that the Air8 product will actually help clean out the tank, pump, lines, etc. Maybe add a post emergent as well.

Yes overlap, I don't really spray (our techs do), but when our production manager trained me to do some cleanup, he basically said hit your hose (which will be in a straight line from where you were walking) essentially meaning the same thing as with a spreader: hit where you were just walking

Could use some assistance with :
1. how to mix granular fert into the skid?
I dont know that I'd recommend this, we use mechanical agitation with our tanks, typical spurge agitation may not be enough to break down the fertilizer

2. Hose management; do you do anything to take precautions so the hose doesn't come in contact with the muffler?

Our our PTO driven so no comment

3. Am I on track, any other advice appreciated!! Thanks

Calibrate correctly, and have fun. IMO liquid apps are far easier, and have way more control with applying

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
100 gal tank is too small. Manual reel is too much work. Otherwise your plan should work. I had that same pump for years. Normal swath width is about 7 feet. Overlap 6 inches on both sides. Practice with water.
Two gals per min is not much. Cover 50,000 sqft per tank. Avoid high concentrations of urea in the solution. You will have to apply no more than about half a pound of nitrogen per thousand sqft. About one bag per tank. Try to avoid adding potassium as it will further increase the grass burn potential, (except in cool weather). In cool weather, add about a seventh as much potassium (0-0-62).
You will probably need to alternate liquid aps which kill weeds but lack green power--and next round apply granular fert--which have more greening power but lack weed control, (except for spot sprays).
Agitate with a canoe paddle to get it dissolved. Don't start the agitation as it will suck urea into the filter or pump and plug it up.
My advice--let it sit overnight--or--use silicone sealer and devise a filter inside the tank so that no urea can get out of tank and into the pump.

OP
R

rbljack

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks yall. Does anyone know of a source for putting a netting filter at the opening of the tank that will contain the granular and keep it from being sucked out of the tank into the strainer? I saw a video where someone had one of those, but couldn't locate a source when I searched online. 50K feet will get me by for now. Id rather fill more often and use up the chemical each time instead of leaving mix in the tank constantly. I agree about the electric hose reel, but I got into the skid for 1600 and thought it was a fair deal. Id like electric, but it will have to wait.

Riggle, when you saw one bag per tank, and you mean a half pound per 1000...the math is the same I assume. If Im treating 50k feet in a tank, I just figure out how much per 1000 I want to apply and add that much in granular correct? Meaning if a bag is 32-0-0 and its a 50 pound bag, and I put the whole bag in and dissolve, im looking at 16 total pounds of nitrogen in the tank correct? do I stick with urea, or can you do the same thing with AMS ferts? we have high ph here, so the AMS works better to help with the PH a little.

AnotherOkie

LawnSite Senior Member
My supplier sells both a sprayable grade urea and ams. They are very fine and not usable in a dry spreader. Soak it in a bucket of water overnight and it will be 80% dissolved.

Another piece of advice, slurry dry products before adding to tank.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
You started exactly the way I did smart move. I went from a solo gas double boom straight to a GNC 400 gallon skid with electric hose reel. I couldn't even imagine having a manual. Had my breaker blow on two occasions and didn't have a backup and had to manually "wind" the hose back on and it wore me out... Didn't have a handle though. In retrospect I could have done ok with a 300gal but no smaller.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I am not familiar with AMS--you mean ammonium sulfate, right? We use 46-0-0 urea around here. You have to be careful--you do not want any inert ingredients--nor coated nitrogen.

As for the intake filter screen basket--you will have to get creative. Square tank or round? Use silicone sealer. For instance try cutting a plastic colander square, and seal it to the bottom and side of the tank.
Or--seal a 12 inch diameter circle of fiberglass screen over the liquid outlet area.
Or talk to the swimming pool people--adapt a pre-filter basket with medium size openings. Irrigation people use these when pumping out of a pond or creek.
https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/...ed-mesh-screen-for-pump-suction/category/498/

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=strainers and colanders&typeahead=colander

And if you need to--think about a battery drill with paint mixer paddles.

Last edited:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
This is my limited 5 or 6 year opinion of doing spray apps so there's many more experienced that can speak. But 1 gal per 1k either you are Mr. Bolt and running like a champ or you are misting and running the risk of a lot of drift. I tried 1 gal per 1k and I couldn't keep up. 2gal per 1k is our usual unless we are doing pre ems that need to be watered in... And of course the customer will be sure to water that app in right? These we go at 3gal per 1k to help it get watered in during the app.