1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Finally Decided

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Jan 23, 2002.

  1. Nelson

    Nelson LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 278

    Well I found out today, that they will close the doors on Feb 8th
    2002. At my full time job. I will have to stay to the end of Feb, to
    do the final closing. They treated me allright. I will get paid for my vacation which is 4 weeks . Also I will get a severence. Do not know how much that will be yet?

    The thing that made me feel good is that when my wife called @ lunch today, I told her about the final day of closing, because it has been up in the air for a while now. She said "Baby I guess it's time to go full time in Your Lawn Service" Boy that made me feel real good.

    Has anybody collected Unemployment & done Lawn Maint. If so can somebody give me some insight? Thanks......

    It's a wonderful thing to have somebody backing you up 100% like A Wife :angel:
  2. Fantasy Lawns

    Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,912

    it's great to have that support .... the $ for vac n severence will com in handi ....down here you'll be able to start gearing up FT by March 1st ......

    as far as collecting while working (you are planing to report your Lawn service income ?) .... just remember "what's goes around comes around" someone is paying for that $$ ....Good Luck
  3. LoneStarLawn

    LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,415

    can't collect if you are employeed...
  4. Are you asking us if we condone cheating? Or just how to do it?
    Good luck going full time.
  5. Nelson

    Nelson LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 278


    Just asking the question........ That's all !!!!
  6. bubble boy

    bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,020

    dont know about FLA but i believe here if you are laid off, and you can prove youre biz is not paying you that much money, you can qualify for reduced benefits. I believe it is only in exceptional cases. i am assuming you aren't planning on cheating, so you should go in and ask. worse they say is no.

    MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO
    Messages: 665

    I was once in that position. Just tell them exactly how much your profit was for that week and they will determine your benefit amount. If this turns out to be THE opportunity I was in, then you will do fine! In my first year, just by handing out flyers, I was able to match my previous income. Good luck to you!

    HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member
    Messages: 233

    It's true that you can't work and collect unemployment in most states - but you can collect inbetween jobs; say if your mowing is billed by the cut and it rains you out for a whole week, you can collect unemployment that week - at least that makes a good fill-in. Of course, you should verify this with your state - they will answer questions w/o giving your name.
  9. gogetter

    gogetter Banned
    Messages: 3,256

    Before you guys jump on him for "cheating", check the facts.
    I don't know about his state, but in PA. you can work while on unemployment. Unemployment here pays 60% of your highest quarter at your previous job. You can work to earn the other 40%. You can even earn over the 40% actually (a bit more involved).

    Not only can you be employed by someone else, you can start your own business. The terms are though, that it has to be a new business, you cannot have started it before collecting.

    Again, other states may be different, but the advice should have been to check with his state, not accuse him of cheating.

    Good luck Nelson.
  10. I read the question as, Can I get away with? My apologies if I misunderstood and read more into it than was there.

Share This Page