Finally have an apples to apples comparison of a high torque trimmer head vs standard

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Just picked up a high torque trimmer attachment for my Shindaiwa M262. While I have used a high torque head on a Maruyama and an echo 3020T, I really couldn't make a fair assessment of how well they work compared to the standard heads because both trimmers are larger more powerful trimmers than anything I have with a standard head to begin with.

With that said, I felt like the Echo 3020T didn't bog down in the slightest, but neither do trimmers with that type of power using standard gearing, so the high torque thing seemed silly on a trimmer with close to 2hp. All it really did was slow the head speed down IMO. Anyways, it just seems like the 2 to 1 gear ratio would work better with the smaller trimmers that actually do bog a bit in the thick stuff. I also feel like the high torque would work better with a blade, particularly the mulching blades I use for Blackberries here in the north west.

Since I use my Shindaiwa M262 multi tool for blade stuff (I find it easy to switch between a mulching blade or saw blade with two separate attachments already set up), I decided to get an Echo high torque head that fits on the Shindaiwa for my mulching blade, and turn the existing head into a back up trimmer head.

But before I did this, I set both a standard head and the new high torque head up with a speed feed 400 and tried some .105 square line without a guard cut to 17" 20" and 23"

These where my findings.

At 1.35 HP, the M262 using the standard gear head with a 17" swath cuts better than the high torque head in knee high field grass. It wasn't even close. Like not even remotely. The standard absolutely rips compared to the high torque. Neither bogged despite the grass being very damp, but the standard visibly cut better and felt more powerful with the high RPMs

Next I cut the same grass with a 20" swath. The power difference was less noticeable, but the the standard still had better head speed and was cutting better with very little to no bogging.

Finally, I tried both heads with a 23" swath. I know a lot of guys do this to trim banks or ditches in a hurry. I got to be honest, the standard once again cut better, but you could feel it bog a bit when you really pushed it whereas the high torque did not bog. However, the the line on the high torque would also bend a lot more and often wrap around the head in the thickest stuff because of the reduced centrifugal force as a result of the reduced RPMs.

Conclusion-
The high torque thing is a bit gimmicky unless you're running a lot of string or really big string. I'll try some .130 and give an update. I could see the high torque head being easier on the machine by not stressing it as much, but with string, they do not cut as well. If I were going to clear a bank with tall thick grass, I would use the standard head with a 17" swath with my 25cc multi-tool.

Ill try some blade stuff and give an update in regards to the comparison.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Just picked up a high torque trimmer attachment for my Shindaiwa M262. While I have used a high torque head on a Maruyama and an echo 3020T, I really couldn't make a fair assessment of how well they work compared to the standard heads because both trimmers are larger more powerful trimmers than anything I have with a standard head to begin with.

With that said, I felt like the Echo 3020T didn't bog down in the slightest, but neither do trimmers with that type of power using standard gearing, so the high torque thing seemed silly on a trimmer with close to 2hp. All it really did was slow the head speed down IMO. Anyways, it just seems like the 2 to 1 gear ratio would work better with the smaller trimmers that actually do bog a bit in the thick stuff. I also feel like the high torque would work better with a blade, particularly the mulching blades I use for Blackberries here in the north west.

Since I use my Shindaiwa M262 multi tool for blade stuff (I find it easy to switch between a mulching blade or saw blade with two separate attachments already set up), I decided to get an Echo high torque head that fits on the Shindaiwa for my mulching blade, and turn the existing head into a back up trimmer head.

But before I did this, I set both a standard head and the new high torque head up with a speed feed 400 and tried some .105 square line without a guard cut to 17" 20" and 23"

These where my findings.

At 1.35 HP, the M262 using the standard gear head with a 17" swath cuts better than the high torque head in knee high field grass. It wasn't even close. Like not even remotely. The standard absolutely rips compared to the high torque. Neither bogged despite the grass being very damp, but the standard visibly cut better and felt more powerful with the high RPMs

Next I cut the same grass with a 20" swath. The power difference was less noticeable, but the the standard still had better head speed and was cutting better with very little to no bogging.

Finally, I tried both heads with a 23" swath. I know a lot of guys do this to trim banks or ditches in a hurry. I got to be honest, the standard once again cut better, but you could feel it bog a bit when you really pushed it whereas the high torque did not bog. However, the the line on the high torque would also bend a lot more and often wrap around the head in the thickest stuff because of the reduced centrifugal force as a result of the reduced RPMs.

Conclusion-
The high torque thing is a bit gimmicky unless you're running a lot of string or really big string. I'll try some .130 and give an update. I could see the high torque head being easier on the machine by not stressing it as much, but with string, they do not cut as well. If I were going to clear a bank with tall thick grass, I would use the standard head with a 17" swath with my 25cc multi-tool.

Ill try some blade stuff and give an update in regards to the comparison.

Thanks for the in-depth review. I run the Echo 2620 T with guard on which is 17” swath. I cut some serious heavy dense grass on farm. Never bogs, but I also use common sense and give it time to cut according to conditions.

Occasionally I've considered purchasing the 3020 T, but weren’t sure if the difference in factory rated power would be significant enough to justify the cost.

Based on your evaluation of torque versus non torque, maybe I should purchase a non torque head for the 2620 T and evaluate the difference.

To change heads, do you simply unbolt one and replace with other version. I assume everything else is equal since the only difference in the 2620 verses 2620T is the high torque head.

From your research do you have a suggestion for best place to purchase a standard head for 2620T ?

OP
cold-beer

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the in-depth review. I run the Echo 2620 T with guard on which is 17” swath. I cut some serious heavy dense grass on farm. Never bogs, but I also use common sense and give it time to cut according to conditions.

Occasionally I've considered purchasing the 3020 T, but weren’t sure if the difference in factory rated power would be significant enough to justify the cost.

Based on your evaluation of torque versus non torque, maybe I should purchase a non torque head for the 2620 T and evaluate the difference.

To change heads, do you simply unbolt one and replace with other version. I assume everything else is equal since the only difference in the 2620 verses 2620T is the high torque head.

From your research do you have a suggestion for best place to purchase a standard head for 2620T ?
I'm swapping entire attachments on a split shaft that have different heads. I suppose you could just swap out a head on a designated trimmer, but I'm not sure if it would be too cost effective.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Just remember speed kills. The standard gear ratio works the best for me.

I'm confused by your reply. You said “speed kills”, followed by “the standard gear ratio works best for me”.

The standard ratio 2620 has more speed 1.62:1 gear ratio, than the torque model 2620T, 2:1 gear ratio producing more torque, but less speed.

Please explain your reply, thanks.

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm confused by your reply. You said “speed kills”, followed by “the standard gear ratio works best for me”.

The standard ratio 2620 has more speed 1.62:1 gear ratio, than the torque model 2620T, 2:1 gear ratio producing more torque, but less speed.

Please explain your reply, thanks.
It's simple. A higher gear ratio turns the line faster, hence speed kills. Now in the lower gear ratio, the engine is running faster for the same line speed, but that's not what I'm talking about.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
It's simple. A higher gear ratio turns the line faster, hence speed kills. Now in the lower gear ratio, the engine is running faster for the same line speed, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Still confused, exactly what are you talking about?

Which gear ratio are saying is higher the 1.62:1 or the 2:1?

If I understand it correctly the 1.62:1 turns faster, therefore it would be considered the higher gear ratio.

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
To even further clarify RPM for RPM the higher gear ratio engine is revving less and unless you're running no guard in a mile long line, the higher gear ratio trimmer is working more efficiently and using less gas.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
To even further clarify RPM for RPM the higher gear ratio engine is revving less and unless you're running no guard in a mile long line, the higher gear ratio trimmer is working more efficiently and using less gas.

You did not answer my questions in my last reply, please answer previous questions.

The engines are identical in both models, the only difference is the gear head. The engines themselves do not have different gear ratios, only the gear heads.

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
Still confused, exactly what are you talking about?

Which gear ratio are saying is higher the 1.62:1 or the 2:1?

If I understand it correctly the 1.62:1 turns faster, therefore it would be considered the higher gear ratio.
The higher gear ratio is the smaller number.

Top Forums