Finding foundation drains

ccas

LawnSite Member
So, i have a leak in my basement. Its coming from the floor. Specifically a corner where the wall meets the floor. Im pretty sure the footing drains are not draining.
I have a good estimate where it is. Im super close. Is there a secret technique for finding these lines? I was thinking of using a "T" probing rod.

Joetee

LawnSite Member
Not sure about a footer drain but I suspect you have water running down the outside wall somewhere. Do you have a sprinkler that hits close to the house?
Also you might have a leaking main line. It's easy to find this out by making sure all water is turned off inside the house. Go out and look at the water meter and see if it is turning at all. You might have to watch for a minute or 2.
Have you had a lot of rain?
What your gonna have to do probably is dig down and seal the wall on the out side.
You could add a French drain along the outside of the wall. It's a perforated pipe covered with stone. This will work if the water is coming from the yard or rain.
I hope this helps.

OP
C

ccas

LawnSite Member
I thought the same because its on the floor under the breaker box. However, there is no water in the walls. Years ago, our footer drain was covered. They wrre just pvc with open ends. No caps
Im thinking they became clogged.

Joetee

LawnSite Member
If water was running down your outside walls, it would not necessarily leak at the same spot. It may run along the foundation until it finds an access point. If your basement is not finished you could try tar or something better to seal it but I would think this would not hold up long on the inside.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
What do you have on the side of the house where the leak is? Is there a bank running toward the wall? Do you have gutters on that side of the house? Those are some things you could address first before digging out the basement wall. As Joetee already said, a new French drain may work.

OP
C

ccas

LawnSite Member
What do you have on the side of the house where the leak is? Is there a bank running toward the wall? Do you have gutters on that side of the house? Those are some things you could address first before digging out the basement wall. As Joetee already said, a new French drain may work.
Just a wall. Pretty flat and straightforward. We dont have gutters. That was my first idea. But i think it would be easier to find the drainage line. I know where it is within 5 ft