1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Finding new employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Luke S., Jan 1, 2014.

1. Luke S.

Luke S. LawnSite Member

How do you guys find new potential workers ? We did use Craigslist but now that they charge $25 a post it doesn't seem worth it for the semi-sleazy crowd it brought. Any body got any other ways they use to find new employees ?

2. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

just posted a for sale ad on CL and didn't get charged......

3. Luke S.

Luke S. LawnSite Member

They only charge for help wanted wanted. It started in 2013 and doesn't apply to a lot of the posting, but it does to help wanted.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Dang....Craigslist charging now. We found a really good guy last year. Had to weed through a bunch that didn't live locally or never done lawn work. How long does the ad stay up?

I may try to go to the employment securities commission or call the dept of social services --- there is a person who tries to find work for dads needing to pay child support.

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't know craigslist was now charging.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Johnny79

Johnny79 LawnSite Member
    from Nutley

im gonna try the old home depot

7. Johnny79

Johnny79 LawnSite Member
    from Nutley

or put an add in the spanish newpaper

8. acresofgreen

acresofgreen LawnSite Member

Craig's list here is free but like its been said before you have to weed through a bunch to find a decent one. I'm trying some kids from my church this year for helpers. I know there parents and so I know what Im getting before hand.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Social media isn't a bad way either, assuming you are on facebook. Throw a request on there for help and what you are expecting, and possibly a friend will know someone who is needing a job.

The good old newspaper is also available.

No matter what you have to weed through a ton of calls. I have to go through that mess this year again myself. I had the same guy the last 2 seasons, but before that I put an ad in the paper when I was crazy busy already, working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I didn't even have time to answer 95% of the calls or return the messages. Won't be making that mistake again. Plan ahead and find someone early.

10. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Mexican resturaunt
    Posted via Mobile Device