Finding people to do the jobs?

Impact-Vector

LawnSite Member
So Im frequently in here but dont have the tools to do every type of job.. So how do you find other people who might be able to do things you dont ?

Example- Right now i know someone looking for a new parking lot. They asked if I knew anyone. I looked up my contacts and I dont..

How do you guys close the gaps?
(And if anyone is in ATL and does parking lots holla! ;) )

NEUSWEDE

LawnSite Bronze Member
Networking! I am part a networking group and then have several local companies that I have made friends with over the years so if I have a bid come in for mutiple things I can have them quote the part for their work. Example: I have a large bid on excavation and foundation work that includes resurfacing 90,000sqft of asphalt. The company I use for asphalt I have used them as a sub for years just by knowing them. They are funded by another landscape company so I know I won't get many jobs from them but they always give me a really good price because they want the work and know I pay asap.

It really is all about making friends and exclusiving using them and refferal of them. I have a 3 ring binder that only has in it business cards of other companies I can reffer. Everything from carpenters to realtors to carpet cleaning people. You would be surprised what other will do just by reffering them one job!

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
So Im frequently in here but dont have the tools to do every type of job.. So how do you find other people who might be able to do things you dont ?

Example- Right now i know someone looking for a new parking lot. They asked if I knew anyone. I looked up my contacts and I dont..

I think this is one of the most important aspects of contracting. Until you become so big that you can do everything very well, you will always need others. The good thing is they are in the same position. That provides another customer stream. I have plumbers, pavers, electricians, concrete guys, tree guys, and other excavators in my "circle of trust" I throw them work and they do the same.

You dont have to do everything, but you have to have access to quality companies that can cover the areas that you dont. Together you take on much bigger jobs.

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member

Does it need refinishing or is a complete lot construction with curbing, drains etc?

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
pks paving, subbed out a job to them for 8% and they did an amazing job

OP
I

Impact-Vector

LawnSite Member
Does it need refinishing or is a complete lot construction with curbing, drains etc?
Complete lot. Curbs and base plus asphalt.

Great points guys! My problem is until I see or use someone I won't refer them because if they screw up it's on my name.

The counterpoint is also hard. If I give referrals, what gets them to send people my way? That's my biggest issue thus far.

Chamber of commerce is a good point but again concern about a good talker vs a good worker...