1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fine Tall Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChrisYanik, Jun 13, 2000.

1. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I currently maintain several properties which were seeded with a new cultivar of fine tall fescue. One account was resently fertilized by a Chemlawn. Well to make a long story short, the fescue at this particular account ended up growing about 12 inches a week for several weeks and I was the one who was choping 9 inches of the blade off every time I mowed the lawn. Now, about 5 weeks after the application, just about all of the fescue is dead and brown.<p>Any suggestions as to why this happend??<p>By the way.....the lawn was also seeded with perrenial rye and bluegrass. These two seed varieties are doing fine now. However, the lawn consisted on mostly fine tall fescue.<p>Also, why would someone even consider seeding a lawn with fescue??? I my opinon, fescue looks like krap when compared to perrenial rye and bluegrass. It also requires more fertilizer and water to keep it green and growing all throughout the year.<p>What's so great about fescue lawns??? NOTHING. THEY'RE TERRIBLE.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm, that particular cultivar may exibit those charateristics, I don't think I'd label the entire fescue family, particularly not fine fescue.<p>BTW: was it a fine fescue cultivar or a tall fescue cultivar?

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why anyone would plant tall fescue either. Unless you got some cows grazing. You have to cut it high and then in a few days it looks like it need cutting again. best to cut it 3&quot; + every week or it will sometimes die if you cut it short

4. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

Guys I don't know what part of the country you are in but here in Lexington Ky I only recommend fescue. I sodded two yards in fescue this year and they make their bluegrass counterparts look like crap. It is a turf-type tall fescue. The wider blade makes the grass look more fuller(if that's a word). Here is the deal between the three grasses mentioned. Perennial rye-probably your best looking overall variety of grass. Problem--very susceptible to disease. Have to use more expensive fungicides to treat and keep healthy. Many homeowners if given the choice won't go for that(aka--if they are educated). Bluegrass has great spring and fall color(better than fescue) but it takes a beating during the summer, doesn't handle traffic as well, isn't tolerant of shade, or heat. So that is why I prefer fescue. It wears better in our highly variable weather in the bluegrass state(ironic). I don't know what your conditions are like but those are my reasons.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY