Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with their hands and fingers going to sleep. My thumb and first 2 fingers are "asleep".

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
There is this "disease" called Raynauds Phenomina (SP!!)

It is descriebd in your trimmer and blower manuals (@ least in the echo ones) and it is a tingling and numbness which is result from intense vibration and cold. I get it when i run a blower in the cold fall am's....

Maybe you should have it checked out. wear gloves or use a strap.

BE WELL!:blob2: :blob2:

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
That is pretty common for me from the shrub trimming, That and I have had 3rd degree burns on the palm of one hand, when a friend fell over on his motorcycle...............Knew they were dangerous, thought they were only dangerous for the rider.............;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
What you have is carpal tunnel syndrome. The classic sign is numbness in the thumb and first two fingers. I had carpal tunnel surgery three and a half years ago and it took care of the problem for me. I did it in January and was ready to go by mid February.

Your doctor can give you a nerve conductivity test to confirm that it is carpal tunnel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its carpal tunnel. If you keep letting it go you will end up like me. Already had 3 surgery's, have one more scheduled, and they are not sure if that will be all. I keep developing scar tissue after surgery and it starts all over again. Now I don't have much gripping power and still have lots of pain. You need to get it looked at before it gets worse.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
My walk behind will make mine go numb. :(
Ditto!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Get some anti-vibration or impact resistant gloves. They make them in half and three quarter finger style as well as full finger depending on mfg. they really do make a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Congrats to you!!!, You now have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I have it in both hands and it gets annoying at all times, Do yourself a favor and pickup a pair of Mechanix M-Pact gloves, Really helps it out alot ,Check out Ebay for great prices on them, i got mine from Autozone for around $25.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Go to the doctor and get it checked out - I was in the same boat as most of the folks here - thought it as carpal tunnel - I actually had a herniated disk in my neck that was putting pressure on the spinal cord. They removed the disk and fused two vertebrate together. They are saying it may be three months before I get feeling back in my hands due to the amount of damage that was done from not getting it fixed quick enough.

Shayne

·
Registered
949 Posts
I used to notice after a long day with the walk behind that my fingers would tingle a bit. THe best cure I found was buying a Z. They are so much easy on all parts of you body except maybe your back (if you don't have the suspension seat). Take care of your hands now before it gets worse and you will have to get surgury.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Definitely get this checked out at the doctor's office. You don't want to cause damage and have it not be reversible. I would also recommend you look into getting some gel filled "chainsaw" gloves to try and reduce the vibration. Home Depot used to have these the last time I was there.

Gravely_Man

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Originally posted by WLLD
- I was in the same boat as most of the folks here - thought it as carpal tunnel - I actually had a herniated disk in my neck that was putting pressure on the spinal cord
yesss...this is a very real possibility. carpal tunnel may be the cuplret but you said "are numb" not "goes numb". and that points to neck or upper back. be careful.

GEO

·
Registered
908 Posts
what kind of trimmer are you using? Years ago, I had a Stihl that did this to me. After prolonged trimming my fingers woul sorta buzz inside. I would wake up at night and my arms were even numb. After I got rid of it, no more problems.

·
Banned
787 Posts
gotta question -

when you have carpal - is it numb even when you are not actively working?

I got that vibrating, tingly feeling for a couple of hours the other day. Never had it in 5yrs. Was doing nothing different. It eventually went away. Weed eated 4 hrs straight today - no probs.:confused:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Originally posted by mower_babe
I got that vibrating, tingly feeling for a couple of hours the other day.
Mower_babe, that conger's up all kinds of mental pictures that have nothing to do with mowing.:blush: thanks

But, back to question. If it's CT, it can certainly be aggravated by physical activity, but not exclusively. The worse it gets the more often and longer the episodes will occur regardless of physical activity. 'Dead', painful hands/wrists in the middle of the night as example.
If persistent, need to have it checked out. Do a search here for that problem, someone (can't remember who) is really an anti-medical treatment advocate for this problem. They offer a lengthy list of alternatives in their post.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
Mower_babe, that conger's up all kinds of mental pictures that have nothing to do with mowing.:blush: thanks
yah, sorry about that. I realize that I probably should have been more specific about the location of the vibration. Especially in manland here! oops.:blush:

Anyway, thanks for the info. It just seems strange to have that sensation after that long and to have it go away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.