1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fire pit distance from house

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by RToolin50, Sep 26, 2009.

1. RToolin50

RToolin50 LawnSite Member

I understand that each town is different in regards to building codes. However, I am wondering what some of you exprerienced contracts think is a safe and appropriate MINIMUM distance for a fire pit to be from a house? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of at least 12 feet...?

2. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the size and shape. The enclosed ones with a chimney I've put right on the patio. The open ones I'll stick a good 15 feet from the house.

Outdoor gas fireplaces are pretty safe. It's the wood fire pits that you need to watch for. It's easy for a client to get over enthusiastic with adding the wood. Next thing you know there's hot embers flying all over the place.

3. RToolin50

RToolin50 LawnSite Member

Thanks. Yeah, I was talking about a wood fire pit, a basic design, around 44" exterior width. I was thinking at least 12 feet minimum. Any other inputs or suggestions here??

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

50' is the min. distance allowed here.

5. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

50 here too!

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

But you can probably have a portable pit right outside the door. :hammerhead:

7. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

yeah no real regulations on portables. it all depends on size here. anything under 24" is considered a cooking stove and can be pretty much right out side