Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple question here for the firefighters that I know do this line of work as a part-time job. Please let me know how many clients you all are able to mow for and if they are commercial or residential. Also what kind of shifts you are working and if you get a kelly day or not. I currently work an 24/48 without a kelly day and I'm just trying to get a feel for how many clients that I should try to take on. I'm only interested in doing residential and I will be doing all work myself. Most lots I'm looking at are between half and one acres. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
we work 24 on 24 off for 5 shifts , then 6 off in a row. i have 15 now and can do in a day and 1/2. mostly residential, some commercial

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
24/48....every 11th shift is an EDO....I also had 15 residentials last year......somtimes 1 day sometimes 2 ...depending on the weather and my fatigue......

Things go slower when I am up on the meatwagon all night...

Derek

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im a fire fighter paramedic that works 24 48s and I have a property management company and a real estate license. I end up cutting about 80 residential each week. It fluxes in the winter I do less but still about 50 consistyently each week. I do have 1 employee and short of him cutting pool encolsure screens once in a while he is great. Cant drive but thats another story. Mind you that my accounts are rather small. I can have most done in 15 minutes all by myself (cut, edge, weed wack and blow. The beds are done every other week)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work 2-2-4. 2 days, 2 nights 4 days off. I cut grass on at least 3 of my days off and sometimes prior to my 1st nightwork. Last year I had 20 regular lawn accounts and I also did alot of landscaping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sleep is an option lol
The pay generally stinks but the benefits are great how many time in your life can you really say that you have made a positive difference in someones life, Well if you were a firefighter you could say that almost every day. We are not getting rich but it depends on how you measure wealth.
Saving a life is very rewarding and it cost very little.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have never been much of a sleeper........but being up 4,5,6, times in a night after 10 or 11 pm can make the next day a little rough.....

On top of that I have a 2 and a 4 year old at home that I play Mister Mom for while my wife works....They are the reason for all my work.

I get alot of gratification from a well maintained property.

Derek

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the 24 on, 24 off, on, off, on 4 days off. Last year I had about 6-7, no problem. One of my LT's had 35 by himself last season. Another has 65-80, but has a couple guys work for him. I am looking for 25-30 this year with some commercial. Residential bids are starting to come in.
Be safe!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fire/Grass

Please don't take offense of what I say. I'm really trying to help. I am also in the Cincinnati area. From what I see every fireman and their brother is "getting into the business" and it is killing the market. There are a few fireman who have built very successful business and all their co-workers see that success and think it is easy.They start one year undercutting everybody just to get business and most of them quit after a year or two. The problem is that there is a new wave every year and that is driving the prices down for the rest of us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are serious, Don't bid jobs low just to get business. You have a good income now and that gives you the luxury to pick and choose what you take. If you bid jobs at a fair price, you will be able to make a lot of money and not just stay busy.

A classic example: a lco had a large commercial property (pain in the @#s) he did for 2300 a cut. the following year a firefighter starting out business bid at 1500 a cut, leaving 800 on the table. he bought a but load of equipment and buy the end of the year he realized his mistake and went out of business

I'm not trying to discourage you, There is plenty of business to go around. Just don't make the common mistake i made when i started. don't bid jobs just to stay busy, bid jobs to cover ALL your expenses and make a fair wage

Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Dan, I really think alot of your post. I greatly respect a honest opinion like that. I'm one who is never going to work for free and I have given this great thought. I would love to touch base with you again and discuss what are some of the going rates on average so I know what is fair vs. lowballing. I'm looking to stay very close to were I live and only interested in doing residential accounts. So any further advice would be great. Again, thanks for the honest comments.

Travis

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dan,
Not trying to pick a fight because I agree with you that too many people think this is easy and low ball into the market, but I do take a bit of offense at the "you have a good income" statement. I have to work someplace else to make ends meet. We are not paid what we are worth, but I am sure most of us do this fire job because we love what we do and we know we aren't going to get rich. I actually have 4 part-time jobs, which means my kids cry when I come home cause some stranger is at the house, lol, it isn't that bad, but close. I work as a paramedic, construction, mow and teach CPR. I want to be successful enough at mowing to drop the other jobs. I don't low ball, but I try and be fair.
I think too many people think the firefighters just sit around and suck money off society, which is not true, we training, clean gear, station duties and workout. Do we have down time, of course. Are we masters of doing great things with very little manpower or support, absolutely. Just remember that because you see a big fire truck that doesn't mean there are 5 or 6 ff on board, around here you are VERY lucky to get 3 off a truck and more times than not 2.... We have 4 at my stations and they run an engine, tanker, ambulance and boats. Sorry I got off there a bit, but my point is we are these rich guys out there trying to make MORE $$$$, we are trying to provide enough so our family can have and not go without. Again, not fight picking, just telling my side of a story that doesn't get heard to much.
I agree keep the prices fair so we all win!!!! Thanks for letting me vent LOL!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
fmed74
I'll be the last to say firefighters have it easy. I know what is involved. My brother is a firefighter and i have a few friends who are firefighters. I had the opportunity to go in the field but I didn't think i had what it takes. My " you have a good income" statement was to mearly say that you don't have to take jobs mainly to put food on the table( I know what firefighters make in Cincinnati,) I think they are underpaid, but it is enough to get buy, This allow time to be careful and take on only profitable accounts and build a successful business. Once again I have nothing against firefighters. Its a job that I wouldn't want to do

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Guys. I just bought my first ZTR and now am officialy in the lawn "bidness". Fortunatley for me I only have 1 lawn to mow, mine. I get paid in cold beer by a beautiful blonde at the end of every job. She keeps me plenty busy with the landscaping portion of my bidness around the house. I know what you guys all are going through. I'm a Captain in a small dept. in the Dallas area, 22 years now. Looking forward to retirement in 3 more years, so my "LCO" will be my full time bidness! Been working 24-48's my whole carreer and have done all kind of odd jobs and part time work to have some nice things and provide for the ones that are important. Be fair to your customers and to yourselves and keep your market up. People will always pay for quality. Besides, you already have the first best job in the world, now you can work on the second. I love making our place look nice and getting "greenis" envy from neighbors! Good luck and be safe Brothers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LT. Paramedic working 24-48. 16 V-days, 9 Kellys. 32 accounts, but 5 are large. Love it but just cant do any more. Full landscaping also, wife says I am crazy. (shes probably right)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Firekilr2...I also am a Lt.Paramedic but I work 24/48 without a Kelly day. Thats why I'm alittle sketchy about getting to many accounts. I had a gentleman from one of our HUGE lawn care companies(they only do commercial accounts)tell me that with my scenario he would have more then one in a half full days of work on my plate. If rain got me, he said I might never catch up if I had any more than that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fire / Grass work your way into it. Been doing it 5 years and reached my max. I have 27 residenyial and 5 comm. One is 25 acres, one 24 unit complex, one 34 unit, and a couple of small bus. 4 days of mowing with part time help. Just hire more if I get behind. Good luck Email if you want to chat sometime.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For the full time Firefighters following this post, how difficult is it to secure a full time position with your department. I am on a paid on call department in the township where I reside, and full time positions are very hard to come by in SW Michigan. I would love to secure a full time position, even if I did have to relocate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Eclipse
Go to www.ocfrd.com and check out our Recruitment Information
We plan to hire about 400 this year
We also have a "non Certified" Program where we pay you while we teach you no education required
Our starting fire fighter working 24/48 pays about 37k with built in Ot
Good luck
Paul

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.