firewood setups

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Ford's Lawncare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

A little late again.. I'm in Bergen County. It's seasoned hardwoods. Mainly oak.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You don't stack your wood to dry? Can it properly dry if its not stacked? I ment that i didn't stack as for the customer, but i stack my wood so it dries during the summer.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

When compared to other services described at Lawnsite how profitable is it in net and/or gross cash flow per hour etc. . . .?

4. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Again....Have no knowledge of what Lawn people make on anything. So my take on what firewood sales are like in gross and net sales probably don't mean much. I enjoy the work and there is plenty.... I enjoy the not being bothered all of the time. But in actual money terms...the last 2 years years I have made in net money after everything paid is between $1.20 and $1.80 per hour. And yes the decimal's are correct...less than $2 per hour. When I get my taxes done here in a couple weeks I shall probably be in for a new low. But I have my freedom... have no one to answer to and my customers are very nice. I should be charging the $300 per cord but I have not.... Hopefully the trailer lock business will be taking off.....instead of making 60 or so customers happy.....I could be having 1000's thrilled by not losing their trailers. Billion's of dollars in trailer's stolen every year....someone must need a lock to stop this from going on. Ken

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

Ken, how does this trailer thing work ?

6. Exact Rototilling

Ken,

I did figure the profit margin was thin . . . but not that thin. Ouch! I'm still considering offering firewood in the future once my residence location would allow logging trucks to drop sub lumber grade logs on my property. The way I understand it is you can make ok cash flow , in my area, if you are able to buy logging truck loads for cheap or have other connections to the industry. I'm sure if I was to acquire a permit for national forest firewood permit then the - travel time, gas etc. it would not be profitable for me.

My father in-law, who works in the timber industry, says he suspects a fair amount of stolen timber etc. in the firewood biz in our area.

Personally I'm a big fan of the North Idaho Energy Logs. A 1 ton pallet supposedly has the same BTU out put of 1.5 to 2 cords of regular firewood. Doesn't smell as good burning as cord wood or look as nice in the stove when burning but does have a very low moisture content and creosote buildup is very minimal.

http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/

7. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

I had cut split deleiver a few years ago and sold some just to give a local guy a run for the money. Kens right. The profit margin is small. Although my labor costs were low, only having to load the materials onto the truck, my materials costs were probably somewhat higher than most in that it was delivered cut split for $125/cord seasoned. That was then. Today, I'm sure the cost has gone up slightly but the demand has also gone up dramaticly. Cord of seasoned around here is $295-$325. One way to keep costs down is to order a butt load of green wood in the spring or towrd the end of the firewood season, around March. That way the wood has sat all year and you bought cheap at last years prices.

One thing I have a problem with is that the delivery trucks were ripping me off. The driver was telling me he had 15 cords on the truck and later I found out the supplier (seperate from the trucker) was only loading 12 cords which was at one point KILLING my profits. Is there any way to determine what a loose cord should be measured as. I've heard 150 cubic feet and up to 180 cu ft, big difference. Any help?

8. Exact Rototilling

Are you talking a logging truck load? If so try to connect with a timber grader and offer him cash to teach you the ropes of estimating a load of logs. If so try to connect with a timber grader and offer him cash to teach you the ropes of estimating a load of logs. It will be money well spent.

9. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

.how many cords would be in a 6 ft pickup bed? around here a 6 ft pickup load goes for $80.
    my brother has 15 acres of hardwood trees and he has been trying to get me to clear about 10 acres from and i get all the wood ........ i told him i was not even interested lol

10. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Level with the top of the bed and not knowing if it has fender wells in the bed or not...some where between 1/3 of a cord stacked and below 1/2 cord. If it were an 8 foot bed it would be very close to 1/2 cord level to the top or a little higher if stacked versus just thrown in. My best shot in explaining....Ken