1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

firewood setups

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Ford's Lawncare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member
    Male, from Plymouth, MA

my question exactly. How many cu. ft. of loose wood equals a cord. I know a cord is 128 cu. ft. I buy and resell, and I am having the same problem that I think my supplier is ripping me off on what he's giving me. Saying he's loading 15 cord, but I think it's less. He tells me that 6 yds. loose equals a cord. Any input????

2. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

I've heard the same roughly. I guess the only way to find out is to hand stack a cord and dump it in the truck.

But then we get to the issue of the trailers of cut split wood coming with their loads of 12-15 cords. How can I tell? Don't know. I got some wood from a national dealer before and what they give me is a loading slip from the plant showing how full the load is prior to the trip. If I measure the dimensions myself once here and the height isn't the same as on the slip, they claim settling in transport. Maybe I have to take the numbers I get once delivered divided by the amount of claimed cords, take that amount and then stack it to see what I come up with.

3. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

If I were buying firewood...coming to me on a flat bed truck and the wood was not stacked solid...the alarm bells and whistles would be going off big time. I have dealt with people who sell firewood by the truck load. A 40 foot flatbed truck stacked tight with firewood 4 foot high is only 10 cords of wood. If it were not stacked tight...in my opinion...it would be less than 10 cords. It is possible to have 12 or 15 cords on a truck but the load would have to be higher or the trailer longer but under no condition would I accept the load not stacked. Not stacked is guess work. In order for me to deliver 1 cord not stacked requires a minimum of 144 c.f. of space to hold 128 c.f. of material. Ken

4. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

I am fairly sure that Oak firewood is between 3500 and 4000 pounds per cord. So 10 cords would be some where in the 35,000 to 40,000 pound range. A load for sure..but I have trouble thinking that they are passing off loads in the 15 cord range. Need some kind of special rig for hauling that kind of load because of the bulk. And the weight would be in the 50,000 plus range. Ken

5. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

The trucks that are delivering the cut/split are 48 foot live floor mulch trucks that do firwewood in the off season

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You guys pay for the logs of wood that you use for firewood? I get mine for free and make a killing on firewood. I guess i must be doing something right. I can fit a cord of wood in my truck (have sides made) pic below. It costs me a gallon to bring 1 cord to the location where i store it, a gallon back, 1 hour to split, 1 hour to stack and 1 gallon to deliver. Total expense cost is about $30.00-$40.00 per cord. $40 is max. I charge 220-240 per cord. So, i make about 200.00 per cord profit. I don't split or stack any of the wood. I only deliver and load the wood when selling. The pic below is a full cord (maybe a little more) of seasoned hardwood. The truck handle's it pretty well.

Picture 3369.JPG

7. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

If I did not have to maintain my equipment and change the oil in my truck I could probably make more money. But splitting a cord of wood by myself in 1 hour would be tough and throwing the wood into truck and then stacking it in 1 hour would be a little easier. But not paying myself a wage would be criminal and then again if I counted all of the money as pure profit...that would be fun until I did my taxes...getting a little confused....need to reread the last post. I am doing something not right or incorrect or out of order. I might not be doing anything or maybe something...need to check this out. Ken

8. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

talk to the guys on arboristsite.com they can really help you with that question

9. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Petr...you load the wood and then unload the wood then split the wood...then when you sell the wood...you load the wood..deliver... then unload the wood.
    Is that the process? Ken

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The wood gets dropped off at my house for free. I (not really me, an employee) splits the wood which goes directly into the truck, unload to stack and dry, then re-load to deliver.