1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

firewood setups

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Ford's Lawncare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My equipment gets maintained (engine oil every 50 hours, hyrdro filter 50 hours (once a year), hydro oil 100hrs) and the oil does get changed in the truck. I'm saying for a cord to be split and stacked it takes about 2.5 hours which includes driving to the location. 1 hour to split 1 hour to stack +/- and 30 minutes to deliver. All expenses (not including my own labor) is about $35-$40.00 per cord.

2. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

I had a hard time understanding the word picture. Now I know....Ken

3. 2muchmulch4u

2muchmulch4u LawnSite Member

I sell between 50 - 60 cords per year we sell $220.00 cord and $155.00 half cord and I also sell by the scoop about 1/6 of a cord for $65.00 I load it with a case 580 loader and 6 scoops of the bucket I call a cord never have gotten a complaint for shortage

4. RuppCompanies

RuppCompanies LawnSite Member

Hi there...I am brand new to this site. As far as stacking firewood on a pallet goes, I would recommend polyester banding over shrink wrap. It allows more air to circulate, is easier to handle, and does not promote the growth of mold on the wood. If you cut your wood to 16" lengths, you can stack three pieces in a line to get 48". If you make a cube 48" x 48" x 48", you have a half cord. If it is Oak, it will weigh about 2,000 lbs. so you will need a skid steer to move it. Thanks...
    -Mike

5. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Is your rack 4x4x8 and is the wood all stacked in rack? doug

6. HL Landscape

HL Landscape LawnSite Member

I'm bundling the cut and split wood, putting it on pallets and then selling to campgrounds. Definetely a lot higher margins then selling by the cord.

Pics 091.jpg

Pics 095.jpg

7. mowingpreacherman

mowingpreacherman LawnSite Member

HL Landscape:

Tell us more about your setup. It does look like "the easy way."

Thanks

8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever had any complaints about selling mixed hardwood or do you guys go for a specific wood?

I did all red oak last year but wonder if I could mix it and still sell it well.

9. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ill get some pics of our setup but we have two log processors, two splitters, 3 dump trucks, and 2 super dutys a loader, two bobcats and like 20 chain saws. We have been doing firewood for almost 11 years now. Sell to just about every major restaurant around here and 1000s of people a year. Its a great business once you get into it and start to get people that are always buying from you plus for some reason i get most people from word of mouth. Plus just about every major tree service around here brings there wood to us and we also do tree jobs so ill never run out of wood!. Ill get some pictures this week of our setup!.

10. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hey Virginia do you buy the logs from the tree companies? If so what do u pay? I was thinking about contacting some of my local companies but am not really sure of what to pay or if I should (gives them a place to lose some of there smaller logs), etc.