First big commercial landscaping bid, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Adam J White, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Adam J White

Adam J White LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a smaller lawncare company with very minimal experience doing any landscaping. I am currently bidding on 2 larger jobs right now. This one is a landscaping job for a Longhorn Steakhouse. I have a few questions about how to get the job done.
    1. The first picture is a bed of what I believe to be sawgrass? Its way to many of them jammed together. I need to either get some or all out and start fresh. Whats the best way to remove these and how much of a pain in the ass is it?
    2. The second picture is one of the beds that is overgrown with weeds and grass. They want it all removed and replaced with new plants. What is the proper way to get this done. I do not have a license to spray chemicals yet if that is what needs to be done but I can look into sub-contracting some of that work out if I need too.

All together there are about 8 smaller beds and 4 larger beds all of which either need to be rescued and brought back to life or completely taken out and replaced with new plants,mulch, etc...I have attached more pictures so ya'll can see what I am up against. I am not looking to get help with a bidding price just what is the best way to go about cleanup up or re-doing overgrown beds and what I need to remove sawgrass plants as there are a lot.

Any advice is much appreciated. I only have a few days to get back with them for this bid and I honestly don't expect to get it as I am also bidding on a large neighborhood that needs to maintained currently and I am more comfortable with that work so am focusing more time in getting that done first. But maybe with some help I will get lucky. Thanks.

Longhorn Overgrown Seagrass.jpg

Longhord Weeds1.jpg

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

2. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a decent tiller and a rake. Lay a tarp next to the bed for easy cleanup. Possibly just hand dig some of it. Just completely destroy it then add some compost mix, plants, fertilizer tabs, fabric,and then mulch. Depends on what the client wants and what they want to spend.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Rent a mini excavator
    Call for utility locates
    Dig out everything down to about a foot and dump it into a nearby waiting truck with the bucket
    Install fresh planting soil
    Install new plants and mulch

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  4. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

+3 on having to remove all that over growth "stuff". put in a few yards of soil, lay down weed mat w/ staples, put in new plants (give ample space for growth) get irrigation system? or upsell one or sub-contract it, then cover with fresh mulch. Adjust to meet client's budget ideology...

** don't re-plant any grass** :)