Lawn Care Forum banner

First Broken Window

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Green Up 
#1 ·
After four years in the business I broke my first window today. I guess the good thing it was my own window, the back door window on the drivers side. How it got hit I don't know, must have bounced off something and hit it. I was lucky enough to find one at a local junk yard for $75.00. Guess it could have been worst.

#5 ·
Nephew took out a little 12x16 window...the ones in a french door with like 12 of them..cost me almost $300 for that one. I Took out my passenger side window in a f250 I had....Full glass coverage took care of that one..Same nephew took out a 6' tall by 12" wide double pane...well its only a single pane now:rolleyes:. Havnt got the bill for that one yet............:usflag:

#6 ·
The guy that has the junkyard also has a body shop. I went figuring I would be getting a new window. He said I think I have a used one, and he did. He pop-ed it in, took about 5 minutes. He said a new one would be around $200.00. Saved me $125.00 :clapping: and after cleaning it up I can't tell the difference.

#7 ·
One of my guys broke a door insert. This had to be the insert that was discontinued and could not be replaced. No new inserts were available for the shape of the opening.
Both doors had to be recut and fitted with new inserts. To top it all off we had to paint them after that. Slow and painful process and about $400.

#8 ·
One of our guys just broke a full-length view, storm door window Tuesday to the tune of 55 bucks out of his check!!! This is after he ran our rider into the side of our enclosed trailer ripping a nice hole in it.

#9 ·
I have been pretty lucky and have only broken 1 in about 8 years, it was a french door window. Luckily it was pretty cheap to fix. I came close to breaking a big picture window once when I cut a tree limb, it hooked on the way down and it slammed into the window, that was some tough glass!

#12 ·
In 20 yrs., my crew or myself have broken out several windows. Broke the front and side window out of a truck, broke the storm window out of a mobile home, but the best one was the front windshield of a locate saw shop owner. He deals with Husq, Honda and Stiphl equipment. Over the last ten years, he has not been very friendly to do business with. I drive 30 mile to another dealer to do business b/c he is very nice and will get you back in business fast. When we pull up, he will fix my equipment and get me back on the road. O yeah, I failed to mention that he is a Scag dealer. So, of course I buy all of my equipment from him. Back to the story. I was cutting a bank and threw a rock across a 4 lane hwy. into the windshield of his sons truck. Of course, the sons father (Saaw shop owner) came up there to the bank. He looked at all of the equipment on the trailer, knowing that I did not buy any of it from him. I offered to write him a check for to replace his son's windshield, but he would not take the money. I am not sure if he was pissed b/c he lost $20,000 plus of sales or if he was trying to get my business back. Keep good insurance b/c you may hurt someone with a flying object and not a window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.