First commercial job

OP
Crazyplantchic

Crazyplantchic

LawnSite Member
I don't see any glaring errors. You added a markup on materials and budgeted in profit, which "newbies" often don't account for, so two thumbs up on that. I suggest that you get a deposit of 1/2 the total or your materials cost before even thinking about scheduling the job. Once it's installed the property owner owns the materials, whether you get paid or not.
I did ask for $850 up front and the rest upon the completion of the job. Thanks for the thumbs up babe!!

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
Another simple formula some use is to take the retail price of the plants and multiply it times 3, then add any additional cost such as mulch, fertilizer, or soil amendments . And add any other labor cost such as removing grass, or edging beds.

Retail prices are about 2 to 3 times grower prices.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I did ask for $850 up front and the rest upon the completion of the job. Thanks for the thumbs up babe!!
Let me give you the benefit of my MBA and practical experience. Don’t price a job because it’s” easier” than what you do. Your still doing the work, and have opportunity costs of other jobs your not doing.

also, we do progress payments 1/3 down, 1/3 halfway, 1/3 upon completion and walkthrough.
you should be friendly with your customers, but their not your friend. Your a professional business person being paid for skill and ability.

not wanting to shock your general contractor isn’t germane to the bid, you have costs, labor burden, overhead etc.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm actually the grower for most plants, what I don't grow I have a connection at the farmers market. I've read on here when pricing a job to charge retail price plus 25-30%. So I used the prices at Lowe's as a standard. And normally my hourly rate would be $65, I just went lower because it's such an easy job. I REALLY appreciate you taking the time out to address my question babe. Have a great day!
Don’t go lower because you think it’s easier! This is a trap new people fall into frequently, with the often used phrase “ I want to be fair to my customers”. You have both fixed and variable costs to account for.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Right on!

Don’t go lower because you think it’s easier! This is a trap new people fall into frequently, with the often used phrase “ I want to be fair to my customers”. You have both fixed and variable costs to account for.
A good example- a person mows lawns with a walk behind. Then they spend big $ on a faster ride on mower. Should they lower prices because the work is now easier? Absolutely not.

We should reap the rewards for our ability to do things quickly and efficiently not give all the profit right back to the customer.

OP
Crazyplantchic

Crazyplantchic

LawnSite Member
Let me give you the benefit of my MBA and practical experience. Don’t price a job because it’s” easier” than what you do. Your still doing the work, and have opportunity costs of other jobs your not doing.

also, we do progress payments 1/3 down, 1/3 halfway, 1/3 upon completion and walkthrough.
you should be friendly with your customers, but their not your friend. Your a professional business person being paid for skill and ability.

not wanting to shock your general contractor isn’t germane to the bid, you have costs, labor burden, overhead etc

OP
Crazyplantchic

Crazyplantchic

LawnSite Member
Another simple formula some use is to take the retail price of the plants and multiply it times 3, then add any additional cost such as mulch, fertilizer, or soil amendments . And add any other labor cost such as removing grass, or edging beds.

Top Forums