First Commercial Mower

Broken Fletcha

LawnSite Member
I'm wanting to start a business, but I'm having issues deciding on the best cheap commercial mower to purchase. I'm going to start with residential homes and when I pay off the equipment I want to move on to commercial properties. I want to get into most back gates. I've been told to get a 34" and also that I would be fine with a 44". Thoughts?

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
Heck what we use is towards the low end of the spectrum bit I e used the brand for over a decade and see no reason to stop. Gravely. I've heard ok things about "Spartan" as well... Toutes as commercial grade but ok for homeowner. IDK. A 34" zero gravely gonna run around $6500 OTD. A 36" stander about a grand more. Ive got both. Just bought a second 34" z gravely. I like these because they get me through gates. Compare to exmark, add about $3k to those prices. Whats your budget?

OP
B

Broken Fletcha

LawnSite Member
Heck what we use is towards the low end of the spectrum bit I e used the brand for over a decade and see no reason to stop. Gravely. I've heard ok things about "Spartan" as well... Toutes as commercial grade but ok for homeowner. IDK. A 34" zero gravely gonna run around $6500 OTD. A 36" stander about a grand more. Ive got both. Just bought a second 34" z gravely. I like these because they get me through gates. Compare to exmark, add about $3k to those prices. Whats your budget?
My budget is less that 5k for my first commercial mower @kemco

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Member
I don’t have much experience with that small of zero turn mowers, but seems like under 5k will drop into the “homeowner” segment. You get what you pay for holds true here. If you don’t abuse the living daylights out of a $5k machine it’s probably a good way to start. But it does bear the question- why not just spend a bit extra up front and not have to upgrade in a couple years... just my $.02