• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

First customer, think I seriously under quoted myself. How much would you have charged?

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Hey guys I’m in Australia and I’m a very new business. Today I had my first customer who wanted his 2 nature strips mowed. He insisted on just sending me photos instead of me coming to look and quoting and wanted me to take all the green waste with me which I kind of got caught out and agreed to.

I said I could do it all for $50 after I saw the photos. It took me about 1.5 hours and was bloody hard work. It filled 2 large green waste bins that were my own and I had to pick up a lot of rubbish which was annoying. I didn’t mind as it allowed me to get some great before and after shots though. Another thing was the whole time he was standing there watching me. Is that something that is common? I really didn’t like it. What would you have charged for something like this?
Cheers

Attachments

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
$125. Did you have to dispose of the trash too?

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Wow that was really taking over the sidewalk.

JFGLN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Hey guys I’m in Australia and I’m a very new business. Today I had my first customer who wanted his 2 nature strips mowed. He insisted on just sending me photos instead of me coming to look and quoting and wanted me to take all the green waste with me which I kind of got caught out and agreed to.

I said I could do it all for $50 after I saw the photos. It took me about 1.5 hours and was bloody hard work. It filled 2 large green waste bins that were my own and I had to pick up a lot of rubbish which was annoying. I didn’t mind as it allowed me to get some great before and after shots though. Another thing was the whole time he was standing there watching me. Is that something that is common? I really didn’t like it. What would you have charged for something like this?
Cheers
First job and it looks like you learned a few things. :)

• Don't quote without seeing the property
  • Charge a disposal fee
  • Charge more - it always takes longer
It's not normal for someone to watch you work the whole time.

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
That’s
Honestly $50 isn't a horrible price for that job.
With a bagger mower and trimmer probably wouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Not sure what equipment you use. But for your first job not horrible.
Keep at it you'll learn and grow.
That’s $35 usd. Yeah I don’t mind it taught me a bit but my gear wasn’t really up for it so took my 1.5 hours. Lots of rocks and rubbish to so was being extra careful as there were cars every where

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheers
I charge $50/hr and I'm in SC so a lot of places in US would charge more.

I would imediately have dumped them if they didn't want me to come. If they just didn't think I needed to, that's ok, they're the customer. THey don't know. At the very least, if they want a price from the photos, give them a tentative estimate and then go look and give them a better estimate in person.

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
I charge $50/hr and I'm in SC so a lot of places in US would charge more.

I would imediately have dumped them if they didn't want me to come. If they just didn't think I needed to, that's ok, they're the customer. THey don't know. At the very least, if they want a price from the photos, give them a tentative estimate and then go look and give them a better estimate in person.
Absolutely learnt my lesson. Won't be doing estimates from photos again