• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

First customer, think I seriously under quoted myself. How much would you have charged?

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
After my first yer in business in the books i learned a lot of these lessons unfortunately. I would be around $80 plus disposal fees whether you pay to dump it or not. For a one time job always charge a little more. Like others have stated best course of action is to pre quote by the pictures if you need to, but definitely adjust when you see it in person. And however long you think its gunna take you multiply it by 2.

For mulch I charge $120/ yard installed. Discount applies after 10+yards. At first I looked at the quotes and thought "damn no way the customers gunna go for that". But I knew what I had to charge to make it profitable and worth my investment of time which to me is priceless. I quoted over 15 mulch jobs this past year and only had 1 customer say that they thought the price was a little too high. Everyone else approved the estimate within 24hours. So if I hadnt done it this way i still would have gotten the jobs for less money but I would have been miserable and made it not worthwhile. Sometimes its worth the risk.

Ive learned people that haggle prices with you are usually not worth your time, plus they tend to be the pickiest clients too!

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
To be successful in business requires education. Education can come in many forms, but almost always a good education is expensive. You seem to have learned a lot from this experience. Remember these lessons and appreciate what you are learning about being successful.
Cheers, mate.

WIgolfsuper

LawnSite Member
Charge $55 per man hour. So for one guy you should've charged $82.50. That's here in the Midwest of USA though so could be different. As far as guy watching you, you are going to get that. I bet he was screwed by someone before you and wants to make sure you didn't do it either. If you are unsure about what to charge just tell them "this particular job would be best for you and me if I bid it hourly at $55/man hour." $75 per pick up truck load for the debris. Everything you do should work out to be around $55 per man hour. Landscaping would be $110 per man hour.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Charge $55 per man hour. So for one guy you should've charged $82.50. That's here in the Midwest of USA though so could be different. As far as guy watching you, you are going to get that. I bet he was screwed by someone before you and wants to make sure you didn't do it either. If you are unsure about what to charge just tell them "this particular job would be best for you and me if I bid it hourly at $55/man hour." $75 per pick up truck load for the debris. Everything you do should work out to be around $55 per man hour. Landscaping would be $110 per man hour.
$55 per hrs is pretty cheap here in MN we average out to $72 per hr on our mowing routes. Though we do mostly larger acreage accounts.

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
$55 per hrs is pretty cheap here in MN we average out to $72 per hr on our mowing routes. Though we do mostly larger acreage accounts.
Wow good to know. I made a post about charging 60ph on a large property I just didn’t know how to accurately price which is $45usd and people were telling me that’s way to expensive

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Well you have to also consider the equipment you are using. The better the equipment, the more your work is worth per hour because of the efficiency. Mowdaddy runs some top of the line zero turns and he finishes a lot quicker than you would with a push mower. If he’s charging $72 an hour and it takes him 2 hours he’s charging $150 for the lawn. If all you got is a push mower and it takes you 10 hours, you can’t expect to get the job for $720.

I find it best to bid by the job, as I assume he does too. Once you get the hang of things and have your target $ per hour, it will begin to fall in place. Under bidding is a part of learning how to price properly. Just NEVER price low to get the job... you’re only hurting yourself and the industry as a whole.

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Well you have to also consider the equipment you are using. The better the equipment, the more your work is worth per hour because of the efficiency. Mowdaddy runs some top of the line zero turns and he finishes a lot quicker than you would with a push mower. If he’s charging $72 an hour and it takes him 2 hours he’s charging $150 for the lawn. If all you got is a push mower and it takes you 10 hours, you can’t expect to get the job for $720.

I find it best to bid by the job, as I assume he does too. Once you get the hang of things and have your target $ per hour, it will begin to fall in place. Under bidding is a part of learning how to price properly. Just NEVER price low to get the job... you’re only hurting yourself and the industry as a whole.
thanks your right, I have learnt a lot of about pricing In a relatively short time. I was under cutting just to try to get the jobs but it’s just not worth it. I will only send myself out of business doing it to cheap

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Good deal, don’t be afraid to ask more questions regarding your pricing either. Some of us may give you a hard time but at the end of the day 99% of us want to see you succeed. Hell even some of your local competitors might have some advice lol