1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

First Cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TrpD345, Oct 8, 2006.

1. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

I have completely re-sewn my yard about 12 days ago. I have been blessed with good rain and temps and it is doing great. How should I handle the first couple of cuts? Should it be push mowed, bagged, or mulched? I have a ZTR with a bagging system, but I think it is too heavey for the yard right now. I will be having a problem with leaves in the near futur also. Thanks for the help!

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you fertilize your turf,as for the grass i have cut with a z but your ground might be soft you know better than me,did you have a lot of thatch might be good to run it with a z and a bagger.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We are faced with that situation in the fall after we strip yards and plant rye. We water 3 times a day until the rye gets going. The obvious problem is we want to cut water off for no more than one day to mow, so we generally mow with a 21" mulching mower. The bigger units cause tracks and the baggers may suck up seed and fertilize. We try to avoid mowing for about 3 weeks but we definitely don't want the grass to get out of control so we can't bag when we start bagging.