1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

First Employee

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Jul 20, 2012.

  1. cutman2000

    cutman2000 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 218

    What are (all)the steps I would have to take before properly hiring someone? Please be descriptive, I have no idea whatsoever. Thanks.
  2. fireman1173005

    fireman1173005 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    You'll definitely need workman's comp insurance :-(
  3. cutman2000

    cutman2000 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 218

    what else other than the insurance? What's the fee for the insurance, roughly?
  4. fireman1173005

    fireman1173005 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    My workman's comp is about $1700/yr because my employees handle chemicals (pesticide/herbicides). You'll need to figure out how to do taxes, I use quick books pro 2012 but by the time you get it all setup with the monthly fee for the payroll tax system it's about $300-$400 for the first yr. It's costly to hire someone full time but it can be worth it if you increase your customer base. If your not planning on increasing your amount of customers or services don't worry about hiring anyone because you'll go broke! I have always had part time seasonal help but this year I hired someone full time and just added my second full time employee yesterday.
  5. Landscape Poet

    Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,638

    I would say this would depend on his state and its laws, his exposure and how his company is set up legally.

    As far as taxes....it is simple to get your accountant to handle your quarterly filing, you just need to insure you have withheld the appropriate amount. They can help you with that too if needed. There are free websites out there such as paycheckcity.com that will allow you to select your state and the witholdings for the amount....just remember you will need to set that aside as well as your portion of his taxes too.

    You should have the potential new associate fill out a w-4 so you know how to withhold the correct amount based on his/her dependents etc.

    And before hiring anyone you should check with U.S immigration either by phone or online to ensure the person is indeed legal to work in the United States.
  6. cutman2000

    cutman2000 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 218

    So on the preparations side, I only need workman's comp insurance and information on tax "withholding" to hire someone?
    #1. Insurance
    #2. Withhold tax
    Is this all?

Share This Page